can't help falling in love

Start from the beginning

only a couple of minutes later another notification popped up on my phone saying that john texted me back. "save me a dance tonight?" and i couldn't fight the smile that fell on my face before typing back a reply, "of course"

finally we arrived at the prom, and Carson found a parking spot. when we entered the school and made our way into the gymnasium i felt his hand on the small of my back.

Carson turned to face me and spoke, "i'm gonna go get us some drinks, can you find us a table?" he questions me and i nod before he walked off. i looked around for a second, trying to find an open table and my eyes land on Johnny talking to a group of his friends. he started laughing at something one of his friends said and i could have melted right there.

i shook my head trying to stop thinking about John and found me and Carson a table.

i'd been sitting there for 5 minutes and Carson still hasn't come back with our drinks yet. i was starting to get nervous so i grabbed my phone and handbag heading to the bathroom. there were a couple of other girls in there fixing their makeup. i stood in front of an unoccupied mirror and touched up my mascara and added a fresh coat of my clear lip gloss.

walking out i was hoping that Carson would be back with our drinks by now. but before i even got to the table i could see that he wasn't there. i turned my heel and walked up to where the drinks were being served. grabbing a cup and pouring some of the fruit punch in it, i observed the different types of groups trying to spot Carson.

so what if i was maybe also looking for Johnny in the huge crowd or dancing kids? i was snapped out of my thoughts by an all too familiar voice behind me.

"who are you looking for?" John asked and i turned around to face him. "well, Carson. but i can't seem to find him." as soon as i said that his eyes darted to something behind me and his face fell.

"i- um, i think i found him," he frowns and points past my head. i whipped my head around to see Carson with his arms wrapped around some girl's waist. it didn't surprise me at all honestly, typical Carson.

i turned back around to face John again and shrugged my shoulders, "i knew i shouldn't have wasted my one prom night on him."

"do you want me to do something?" he questions but i quickly declined. "no, he's not worth our time."

"if i may ask, where's the lucky girl?" i ask him desperately trying to change the subject. he laughed a little, "there never was one." my eyes widened, to say i was shocked was an understatement.

"so you don't have a prom date?" i ask, "you would have known if i asked anyone out." he stated starring into my eyes, making my knee's tremble. "the only girl i wanted to ask, got asked before i got a chance to."

my heart dropped when he said that. so he did want to ask someone out, but i doubt it was me. "i'm sorry John, you don't deserve that." i frowned trying to hide the hurt in my voice. "do you want me to fight her for you? who is she?" i joked earning a chuckle from him.

"well i don't think fighting yourself would put a good reputation on your high school record, so i'd rather you not." and it took me a second to process what he meant. but when i did i choked on air.

"wait, me?" i asked, confused. there's no way he was actually talking about me.

"i had everything planned," he started. "last week i walked into school with a bouquet of 12 white roses," he pauses and i take my chance to speak. "those are my favorite." i whispered and he kept talking. "it took me all day to grow the fucking balls to even just walk up to you, and when i did Carson got there first. i remember he gave you a bouquet of lily's and i rolled my eyes because your allergic to them."

"and i had a headache for the rest of the day,"

"that's why i brought you tylenol that night," and at that moment i let a tear fall down my face. "you deserve so much better than him y/n, and i might not be able to give you that either bu-" i cut him off by smashing my lips to his.

i pulled away with my arms around his neck keeping him close, and his arms around my waist keeping me close. "if you had asked me before him do you know what i would have said?"

"probably no," he said with a frown. i giggled and kissed him again. i heard the song change in the background to "can't help falling in love" and pulled away. "i would have said yes." i smiled as his face lit up.

John's hands moved from my waist and grabbed mine. "y/n, may i have that dance you promised me?" he asked with a grin. "you may," he pulled me onto the dance floor with the rest of the couple's that were slow dancing. his arms firmly around my waist ensuring that i stayed there with him. my arms snaked around his neck. while my hands played with the hairs at the nape of his neck.

this is where i wanted to be. with him.

the end my fellow Johnny lovers, much love <3