Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I didn't even think. My bow was just 10 yards away. I ran and grabbed my bow and ran back where I lost Peeta. I looked around. I knew I didn't have much time. I quickly looked at the ground and noticing paw marks heading west. I didn't even think twice before I began running again.

"PEETA! PEETA!" I screamed as I ran through the woods. I was losing the paw marks on the ground.

"Katniss!" Peeta screamed running towards me. "Peeta!" I was about to run up to him I noticed that there was still one of the dogs following him. I quickly pulled a bow out and shot the dog straight in the eye. His body fell over limp as blood pooled out of his right eye down to the ground next to him.

I looked around to see if any more were around. "There gone." Peeta said running to my side, out of breathe.  I didn't even ask why or how I just pulled him into my arms.

"Are you ok?" I asked into his shoulder.

"Yeah I think so." he added, but right when he said it he winced.

"No your not." I added. I pulled him to the ground as I started checking him out. Nothing wrong with his arms, head, or torso. I checked his fake leg. Fine. Then for his real leg. I pushed up his pants leg then he winced.

I didn't see it at first. But not a moment later I found it. One of the dogs had bit into his leg, tearing a small chuck out from behind his lower thin. It was all bloody and looked like it was already getting infected.

"How bad?" Peeta asked, wincing again I began to examining the wound more.

"I think we need to take you to see my mom." I say.

"It cant be that bad!" Peeta said surprised.

"Peeta, your going to lose this leg too if we don't get you proper medical attention! And I can promise you no one here in 12 can help us with this."

As I was saying this the wound was growing bigger.

"Ok we need to start heading home. That's starting to get worse." I say as I pull him to his feet taking his arm around my shoulder to help him walk out of the forest.

4 hours later I am finally finished packing our stuff to go see my mom. Peeta has tried to help but his leg has become very pain. So I gave him some medicine and sent him to wait for my downstairs.

When I made my way down stairs and I found Peeta talking to someone. Haymitch had come over. "Hey, sweetheart." Haymitch said. I could tell he'd been drinking. But when has he not?

"What are you doing over here so early?" I asked. Seating the suitcase by the door and walking over and sat by Peeta, who smiled when I did.

"I saw all the lights on a 4 in the morning and I was wondering what was happening over here. Have you guys been up all night?" he asked.

"Basically." Peeta said putting his arm around me and I leaned into him.

"We are leaving for  District 4 in a few hours." I explained.

"Why?" Haymitch asked.

"Peeta got hurt in the woods last night."

"How? What happened?"

"Dogs. They got a hold of his leg and I'm afraid that's it's infected far beyond what District 12 could handle. So we are going to see my mom and see if she could help." I explained

"Yeah, we are going to catch the 6 o'clock train and head over." Peeta added.

"Well I guess I'll let you all enjoy your time together until you leave." Haymitch said as he got up and walked out of the door.  I knew it was just excuse to go drink, but I understood.

"How's you leg?" I asked grabbing his hand to intertwine our figures together.

"Fine, I guess. I cant feel it after you gave me that medicine." Peeta answered. I could tell he was telling the truth.

"Can I see?" I asked concerned.  He put his leg up on the table in the living room. He pulled his pant leg back and it was exactly what I expected. It's swollen and red. The flesh is being eaten away by the bite. It's about an an inch or two deep and about the size of a tennis ball.

"Peeta I'm so sorry." I say pulling his pant leg down and not looking at him. This was all my fault. If I didn't run from him we wouldn't be in this. And if Peeta loses his only good leg, I would never forgive myself.

"For what?" he asked confused.

"This is all my fault." I said holding back tears. Peeta grabs my face in his hands to my me look at him. "Listen to me. Nothing is your fault. You couldnt have stopped this from happening. It just happened." he said this in such a soft, gentle voice that I can't help myself. I kiss him. He was surprised at first but didn't hesitate to kiss me back.

Hope you all have enjoyed this so far. I have a lot planned so don't give up on my now! Something very big is going to happen in the next chapter or so... Remember to vote and keep reading. Also If I get 60 views or 2 votes I will upload sooner! Also comment a good Hunger Games fanfic, or one of your stories and ill read it!