10. Brother Knows

Start from the beginning

Pedo Bear: Just be careful, Skye.

I smile softly. He really does seem worried, doesn't he? It feels nice to have someone worried about me. At least someone cares about me, even if it is only a little bit.

⚬⚬⚬

I knock on the door. I hope it's his house, knocking on a random stranger's door would be so embarrassing.

I've quadruple-checked that it's the right house number. It has to be right. But what if he texted the wrong number by accident and didn't catch the mistake?

The front door opens, bringing me out of my anxiety filled thoughts. Standing in the doorway is a man that looks a lot like Aaron. The same chocolate brown hair, and calculating brown eyes.

"You must be Aaron's new friend, right?" he asks, his voice kinder thank expected.

I nod nervously. "Yes sir."

"Please, call me Damian," he replies, smiling warmly. "Or Mr Mitchell if it's more comfortable. Come in, you can leave your boots and coat by the door."

I step inside, into the warmth of the house from the cool winter air. The house has this this cozy feel, and woodsy scent, the same scent I often get off Aaron. I step out of my boots and leave them on the mat beside the door, and before I can complain, Mr Mitchell takes my coat from my grasp and hangs it in the closet for me.

"Thank you," I say, smiling politely.

"Of course," he replies. I'm not sure what to think of him. He's nice, but Aaron said he doesn't like gays, so he probably won't like me if he finds out. He turns and shouts, "Acorn, get down here, your friend's here!"

"Acorn?" I ask, confused.

Mr Mitchell smiles. "It's his nickname. Autocorrect didn't recognize his name once, and changed it to Acorn. So the nickname was born. He's not a fan of it, but the rest of us are so he's overruled and the nickname stays."

"Who's this?" a voice asks.

A man looking to be a few years older than me comes in from the kitchen. He has the same look as Aaron and his dad. Huh, Aaron never mentioned having an older brother.

"Da Coat, this is Acorn's friend. Skye, right?" Mr Mitchell says. I nod. Mr Mitchell whispers to me, "his nickname has the same origin. Autocorrect."

"Name's Dakota," said man says, giving me a welcoming smile. He looks at the steps. "Where's Acorn?"

Mr Mitchell sighs. "Probably wearing those noise-blocking headphones of his again. Coat, can you show Skye to Acorn's room for me?"

Dakota nods and gestures for me to follow him. He leads me upstairs and down to the end of the hall. Without knocking, he throws open the door on the left, and saunters in. I stand in the doorway, looking around.

Aaron's room is a little bigger than mine, with dark red walls and a fuzzy dark grey carpet. Part of the ceiling is slanted due to the slanted roof of the house. His bed is pushed into the corner, a maple wood nightstand beside it. His dresser is beside the door, holding various picture frames and trinkets that must be souvenirs and things special to him. There's a desk against one wall, the swiveling chair beside it holding his schoolbag, his binders spread out on the desk. On the wall between the bed and desk is a window, overlooking the road in front of the house. The room is surprisingly clean, not exactly something I expected from a teenager.

"What do you want, Coat?" Aaron snaps from his place lying on his bed, a set of silver Beats headphones over his ears, before noticing me and pulling the headphones down so they hung around his neck and shooting me a smile. "Oh, hey Skye."

"Your friend's here," Dakota answers Aaron's earlier question, even though he really has no need to. I can hear the smirk in his voice, telling me he's having fun annoying Aaron though. "Don't make him scream to loudly."

"Kota!" Aaron shouts, glaring at his brother.

Dakota laughs mischievously. "What?"

"Don't let Dad hear you saying that," Aaron says warningly.

"Oh what's he gonna do?" Dakota asks, closing the door as if to make sure no one overhears. I step further into the room, standing by the desk. "It was a joke. Well, not really. You two would be so cute together. And besides, I've been wanting to meet this kid since I knew you were texting him."

Aaron pales, his eyes staring widely at Dakota. "You know?"

Dakota nods, grinning. "Yep. I may, or may not, have hacked your phone. I knew my gaydar is on point. You just screamed 'I'm rainbow and trying to hide it.' Especially with the fact you kept targeting Skye last year."

I tilt my head, confused.

"I'm three years older than you," Dakota explains. "I was at Oakland last year, now I'm in my first year of university. I dropped in for a surprise visit today." Dakota pauses, looking at Aaron. "Acorn, don't look so scared. I won't tell anyone, I swear."

Dakota sits next to Aaron, pulling his younger brother into a tight hug. Suddenly, I feel like I'm intruding on a private moment, so I look out the window, watching the snow fall lightly. Must've started snowing after I got here.

"I get why you're scared," I hear Dakota whisper softly. "But don't let that fear control you for the rest of your life, Acorn. You'll find the people who truly love you if they know about you. They'll accept you, and won't look at you any differently."

I tense, thinking of Mom. She started looking at me completely different after I came out, but Dad had just left too...

"I don't," Dakota continues, "I still see my idiotic younger brother. I love you, brother."

There's a pause before Aaron whispers, "I love you too, brother."

"I'll let you in on a little secret," Dakota whispers. "I'm gay too."

Aaron must've choked because he starts coughing. "Really?"

Dakota must nod, because he doesn't reply verbally. "Remember Marcus? He's more than just my friend... Well, I'll leave you two alone. And again, Acorn, I swear I won't tell anyone. Just don't tell anyone about me either, got it?"

"Got it," Aaron replies. "Thanks, Coat."

Dakota shoots him a grin then wanders out of the room.

Aaron sighs, staring at the ceiling. "Fucking hell. Older brothers can be a pain, but I love him."

Dakota shouts from down the hall, "I heard that!"

I smile. They have an interesting relationship. I've wondered what it would be like to have an older sibling. If I did, I think I would want to have the same bond with them that Aaron and Dakota have. Where we love and can trust each other. I want someone I can love and trust.

I... want someone to be there for me.