Chapter 31: Heartbroken

Start from the beginning

His eyes burned with emotion but he remained silent so I went on.

"I don't know what those words meant to you, but for me it meant the world. It was a sacred promise. A promise that I reciprocated." I swallowed the lump in my throat before I continued, "When I told you that I love you, I meant it. When I said that I would stand by your side and protect the pack, I meant it. I swore to the Moon Goddess then and I swear to her now that I meant every word I said....but since my words mean nothing to you, then there's nothing I could say to fix this." Tears fell from my eyes as I looked at my wedding ring.

My fingers fiddled with the piece of jewelry before sliding it off of my finger. I looked up at Thane and saw his eyes widen in horror.

"Until you put some truth behind your promises and realize that I never meant to hurt anyone," my voice caught in my throat at what I was about to do, "I don't want this. I can't do this if you have no trust in me."

I placed the ring on the counter top among some shattered glass that represented my heart. I looked back up at Thane whose face was set in one of anguish and anger. Tears were at the brim of his eyes and I could tell he was trying to hold it back but I couldn't look at him anymore.

I turned around as a somber growl escaped him and I could feel it rake through my body but I didn't dare turn back.

With every step I took towards the bedroom, I prayed that he'd call me back and apologize and hear me out...but he didn't.

I hated leaving him standing thinking god knows what, with my ring on the counter, but he had to know that what he did wasn't easily forgivable.

I made it to the room, shut the door and went straight to the sofa where I buried my face in the pillow and let my emotions wash over me.

~~~

I didn't know what time it was that I woke up but there was shouting outside the bedroom door. It sounded like Thane and his father but I had a massive headache that disrupted me from hearing what they were saying.

I got off the sofa and walked towards the door to hear what they saying.

"I can't believe you killed that human boy in front of your mate! Have I taught you nothing?!" Carson roared.

"Dad-"

"No! The pack isn't just yours, it's your mate's and your's together. But from what I heard, you just tossed her aside without hearing what she planned on doing!"

"You think I haven't thought about that!" Thane raised his voice, "I can't get the image of her face out of my head when she saw what I did to that boy!"

"So fix it!"

"I can't dad!" Thane shouted before he got quiet and I could barely hear what he said next, "She hates me..."

I backed away from the door as their voices died down and I couldn't hear any more. Whatever Thane thought I felt was incorrect but I wasn't about to tell him that.

I just padded my way to the shower and washed my tear stained cheeks from last night and had an incredibly long shower.

By the time I was finished, I felt numb. Physically and mentally.

The first thing I found in the closet was a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt so I pulled both on before going back to the room. A fresh bunch of flowers caught my eyes.

On the bedside table laid wildflowers and it looks like Thane could at least keep one promise. As I gingerly picked it up, I felt my throat constrict but I refused to cry again.