Chapter 4- I'm Terrible At My Job.

A/N- My sincerest apologies for the delay in this chapter, I was finishing up my 2nd year at Uni and house hunting... any who enjoy!

Not edited yet...

~~~~

Darcy's POV

So far nothing untoward had been picked up on Dyers' bug and I was beginning to get antsy already. But then what could I hope for in just 24 hours?

All Professor Giles had done in our meeting was talk about history and how fascinating re-enactments could be. Properly re-living true events, marvellous. Was how he had put it. I couldn't be too sure it was marvellous.

"And I was hoping to find someone who would be a student ambassador for the society. A sort of leader, if you will." I'd heard him say that and I was back to paying attention.

I could hear Whittaker's tense breathing in my ear and I asked the Professor, "I'm sorry Sir, I don't understand."

"Well, that's why you're here. I want to ask you to be the student ambassador for the society." Giles spoke cheerily and leant forward on his desk.

I frowned and looked at all of the historical memorabilia in his office. "Are you sure you don't want someone on your course, Sir?" I inquired quite honestly.

"You seem pretty interested that's all. I haven't had that from any of my soon to be students that I've seen so far." He explained and I could hear the saddened tone in his voice.

I smiled halfheartedly and said, "I suppose I can do it. At least until someone from your course wants to take over or if I get too busy with my own work."

It was for the assignment. It was for work. I kept telling myself over and over. It was becoming my mantra of this whole endeavour.

"Splendid." Professor Giles smiled ecstatically and sat up straighter in his seat. "Our first meeting of the historical war re-enactment society will be in three days during the introductory week." 

I tried to smile as sincerely as I could whilst trying to hold back my sarcastic tone as I spoke, "Great." After that the Professor dismissed me and since with my back turned to walk out of the office I glared at the white door. 

"Excellent work Byrne." Whittaker complimented through my ear piece and I huffed as I opened the door that led into the corridor. 

I resisted the urge to slam it behind me as Scott chided in a mock posh accent, "Yes, wonderful work Darcy dear." 

"You're incorrigible." I muttered just loud enough for him to hear me and I faintly heard his laughter through the comms. 

No doubt he was getting a firm telling off from Whittaker despite the limited age difference. 

It was the brief chats I had with Scott, and occasionally Whittaker, that kept me sane in all of this and kept me on track with work. It certainly wasn't staying very well on track. 

------------------------

A month. A whole month had gone by and nothing. I had attended four historical reenactment society gatherings and not a single shred of information or hint that the Professor may be anymore suspect than a name on a list. 

The bug I had placed had still found zilch, nadda, nothing, and what with my studies that I also had to begrudgingly keep up with I had very little time to scout out my other targets properly. I'd seen them in passing but couldn't figure out a way to uncover if they were the mole. 

I had, however, managed to gather some intel that Orlov, the Chemical Engineering Professor had a meeting with Dr Brennan my medicine professor. Apparently it was about a debate the debate society was doing about medicine and chemicals, I wasn't becoming at all adverse in the goings on of medicine but just enough that I could stay enrolled.