Saying home goodbye

Denver, Colorado, parent's house.

"I have to go father, this place isn't for me anymore." Chet said.

"Are you sure? Where are you going?" He tried to look surprised.

"I'm thirty years old now, have no profession or prospects. Damon told me about a place that might receive me well, they're in need of people for maintenance and agriculture. I've money to spare for the trip and to keep me alive for a while." Chet said.

"Well then. If you get in trouble you know how to find us."

Chet's father extended his arms and they hugged.

On the next morning Chet got out, looked over his shoulder to the house he grew up. His mother was on the window, standing still, eyes fixed on him. Chet turned his back to the house, to never see it again.

Goodbye mother.

His friend Damon drove him with his old pickup to the outskirts of the town onto the interstate junction.

"Don't get yourself killed okay dickhead!" Damon said.

"I gave you the chance to come with me. I heard there is a lot of beautiful girls in the camp." Chet said.

"Nah! I'm better of taking care of my family's business."

"Die here if you want to Damon! I'm out of this place for good."

Someone gave Chet a lift out of there before Damon could say anything else. Damon got in the car and returned to his daily tasks.

After several days of travel Chet got exhausted to the Pythian community's city, New Redemption. Out of fear of getting lost in the rural area around town he asked to residents if someone was going there and if they could give him a ride, he received all kinds of suspicious looks. Not getting good answers, he headed back to the highway.

Maybe someone is going there too and can help me out.

Chet passed out on the road pavement, he didn't eat in two days. He had a strange experience while unconscious, his parents were arguing about him.

"I told you. Our son is a complete loser. He'll live with cult lunatics." Chet's father said.

"Don't say horrible things like that, he only needs guidance, maybe he'll find it there in this community." His mother said.

Chet listened to this dialog like he was watching television in a dark room.

"Am I dead?" Chet said.

"Not yet. You're meant for great things Chet, people you'll never meet are counting on you." A female voice said.

"I'm a nobody. How could that happen?"

...