five

it's weird how quickly your life can change within just 48 hours

all taehyung wanted was a normal roommate that he could be chill around for the remaining two years of university, but instead, he has to deal with a literal demon as a roommate.

until a few days ago, he had always believed that demons could never exist, and that all the myths and folklore descriptions of demons originated from purely human imagination.

on top of all that, his roommate also had to be a demon who's scared of spiders. 'demon from hell' and 'scared of spiders' should never be put in the same sentence, but taehyung concluded that there was always a first to everything, and those firsts came alongside the very existence of jeon jungkook himself.

during the entire walk to the front office, jungkook kept ranting about how disgusting and icky the spider was to taehyung while the latter simply nodded in agreement, finding the younger's choice of adjectives way more amusing than the actual situation.

"jungkook, for the last time," taehyung paused to emit an exasperated sigh, finally receiving jungkook's schedule from the lady behind the front office's desk. "spiders can't and won't eat you. you're, like, a thousand times its damn size."

"nuh-uh, it would've eaten me if you didn't kill it!" the ravenet protested.

taehyung rolled his eyes, lifting the schedule up so that he could closely examine it. "alright, so you oh-so-luckily have no morning classes today. your first lecture is in the afternoon, at exactly 2:30 and will last for an hour."

jungkook hummed, trying his best to process what the elder was saying.

"you don't have lectures tomorrow, nor you have lectures on wednesday. good for you, man. unfortunately, your thursday lecture is at 8:00 in the morning, and that also lasts for an hour. lastly, on friday, you have class from 1:00 in the afternoon to 3:00. here you go," taehyung finished, handing the sheet of paper over to its rightful owner, who took it into his own hands with a puzzled expression plastered on his face.

"thanks, hyung," jungkook murmured, staring at his schedule with narrowed eyes, as if it was a giant photograph of a spider.

"well, good luck figuring the rest out by yourself. you have until 2:30 to figure everything out anyway, so you'll be fine. although, i currently have a class right now, which i am late to, so i need to get going," the silver-haired male spoke, starting to walk towards the direction of the building where his lecture hall was. "don't be afraid to ask around if you need to know something; most of the people here are friendly— i mean, they should be."

"o-okay." jungkook blinked, mindlessly trailing after taehyung even though he didn't have any classes right now. he didn't even know what time it was, how was he supposed to know when it's turning 2:30?

"don't get into any trouble!" taehyung made sure to remind the demon, emphasizing his point by squishing both of jungkook's cheeks together with his hands, grinning in satisfaction when jungkook let out an immediate nod. the former retracted his hands, tugging the strap of his backpack further up his shoulder before ultimately disappearing inside the building.

he had a gut feeling that jungkook would end up doing something dumb in his absence in spite of his warning, but chose to ignore it.

that was a huge mistake on his part, to say the least.

━━━━━━━━━━━

taehyung was halfway through his class, nearly falling asleep on the cover of his textbook, when he heard the door to the lecture hall being flung open. an old man, presumably another professor from a neighboring hall, came inside and rushed over to where his professor was currently teaching something about the importance of staff motivation in business management.

"professor lee, there was a fire just outside the building!" the man exclaimed, talking loud enough for everybody in the room to hear, waving his arms around in panic.

every student in the room perked up in alert, including taehyung, followed by multiple gasps. they were incredibly confused since the fire alarm didn't go off once, and there wasn't any pungent smell of lingering smoke either, which made the news more bizarre than ever. 

"all the trees around the building have been burned down, but there was no trace of the actual fire! it's like the fire was extinguished seconds after it began," the bewildered man continued to report.

suddenly, a gradual realization dawned upon taehyung.

a fire that was gone as soon as it started? 

it sounded awfully similar to what jungkook did to his blanket back in their shared dorm earlier that morning. additionally, the ravenet didn't have any lectures to attend at the moment, which made everything click in taehyung's head.

ignoring the shout from his professor, taehyung sprung up from his seat and quickly ran out of the room.

he pushed through the double-doors of the building's main entrance, sprinting outside and freezing in shock when he noticed that it was true. every single tree that was planted on the courtyard had been burned to ashes, with only mere inches of the stumps left standing. yet, the odor of smoke was somehow still not present in the air.

wait

"jeon jungkook, you brat!" taehyung growled in anger as soon as he spotted a familiar black-haired figure crouching next to one of the remaining tree stumps near the side of the building, seemingly poking at the wood with his bare fingers in awe and fascination.

jungkook instantly jumped at the sudden voice, almost stumbling over his own foot in the process of standing back up straight. he gulped when he saw taehyung hastily stomping over to where he stood with knitted eyebrows, pursed lips, and fists tightly clenched at his sides.

he definitely wasn't happy.

"what the fuck is the meaning of this? do you know what the hell you just did?" taehyung scolded once he reached the younger whilst wildly gesturing to all the burned trees around them.

"i accidentally burned all the trees down," jungkook softly answered, wearing an ashamed frown. "i-i didn't think they would all burn that fast! i just— i wanted to test how fast things burned on earth, but i swear i didn't intend to set every tree on fire! i didn't know my powers were that strong to the point where i could burn down those trees within seconds. i-i'm sorry, hyung."

taehyung sharply exhaled, pinching the area between his brows in an effort to calm himself down.

"hyung, are you mad?" jungkook nervously questioned, rubbing his hands together in a timid manner. he peered up at taehyung through his long eyelashes as his bottom lip jutted out innocently.

taehyung's body went rigid. he has always been especially weak to adorable pouts.

"no, i'm— just never do that again, jungkook. you should be grateful there are no security cameras facing this direction. well, as for possible witnesses, who the fuck knows? you could get suspended or even expelled if someone caught you, so don't ever try this again. do you understand?"

"i understand," jungkook mumbled, head now hung low. "i'm sorry."

taehyung stilled for a brief second or two. he then shook his head, crossing his arms in front of his chest with an irritated scowl. "you... weren't sorry when you burned your own blanket this morning. be honest, you're not actually sorry, are you?" he accused.

jungkook let out an abruptly cute giggle, snapping his head up to showcase the sly smile he's been hiding beneath his momentary faux-remorseful façade. "nope, not really," he confidently admitted before skipping off to examine another tree stump, leaving a frustrated taehyung behind. "see you later, hyung!"

that little shit.