Charlotte's First Birthday

Need a few ideas for chapters, so comment something you'd like to read about and I might use it in the future :)

------------------------------------------------------

I never understood why people throw their children big parties for their first birthday. It's not like they're going to remember it. If they did, they never tell us.

Sidney and I had just planned to have a small gathering with close friends and a few family members that were flying in for the occasion. Charlotte had no idea what was going on, of course. She just knew that both grandmas were in town and that usually meant presents.

I was really happy that Sid would be home for Charlie's actual birthday. Her party would be the Saturday after, but it was always nice to have him home.

We had a mini cake made for her to destroy after we ate dinner. Usually that was done during the professional pictures, but we weren't doing those for a few weeks so it happened when it was just the three of us.

Our daughter had the biggest smile on her face while she played in the cake and got purple frosting everywhere. She threw some at Sid who then threw some at me and we ended up getting. In a food fight.

"Charlie, throw some at mommy." The two of them ganged up against me. Totally not fair.

"Hey now. What's with this?" I grabbed a chunk of frosting and wiped it on both of my husband's cheeks before stepping back a few feet.

"No, come here. You have something right here." He wiped some frosting on my lips and pulled me towards him, licking off what he had just put on my mouth.

Charlotte broke up our moment by throwing cake at my head. She had eaten some of it, but the baked good was mostly around our kitchen and/or bodies.

"I think it's time for Charlotte's bath time." I picked the one-year old out of the high chair and brought her into the bathroom, Sidney close behind.

She was out soon after we got her dressed for bed. Apparently playing in cake was exhausting. We started cleaning up the kitchen after she fell asleep.

"So when does Charlie get to learn to skate?" Sidney casually asked as we washed the dishes.

"Charlotte can barely walk, let's give her a year or two to perfect that and then you can teach her to skate."

Sidney didn't really want her to play hockey, mainly because he didn't want her to get hurt, but he was really excited to teach her to skate.

Saturday was quite the party. A few of Sid's teammates came with their children, Charlotte loved that. She was also loved all the attention she got from everyone. Charlie was with both of her grandmothers the entire time.

"Well, this is easy enough." Sid laughed as we put the candle on Charlotte's cake.

"Yeah just wait until she's five and there's 20 other five year olds running around trying to blow out her candles and unwrap her presents for her. Not so easy then."

"Good thing I have a beautiful wife to help me." He placed one hand on my hip, holding the cake in the other, and kissed me.

"I hate to break up this moment," my sister in law interrupted, holding Charlotte on her hip, "But Charlie wants cake."

"Of course Charlotte does. No throwing this one at people, okay?" I told my daughter as we walked to the dining room where everyone had gathered.

"She's going to throw it at people, isn't she?" My husband asked.

"Most likely."