Chapter 17: Mutual Understanding (Part 2)

As Kimo knocked on the door, Joe jogged down the hill. Chris urged Cassie to go next with a nod. After a deep breath, he was the last to plod toward the hut.

"Do you think he's here?" Joe tossed over his shoulder once they all assembled by the door.

Chris shrugged, and then Kimo knocked again. His first knock had been loud enough to scare off some impressively large gnats and mosquitoes, so Chris couldn't figure out why no one had answered yet.

Maybe Scott wasn't "home." Was he out for a pleasant stroll, whistling that tinny fisherman's whistle, still pretending his family didn't exist?

At long last, Scott MacRae eased the door open a crack, as if expecting the boogeyman. "Hello, Kimo," he said. Then his one visible eye widened and the door flew open. "Well, boys, this is a surprise!"

He sounded exceedingly happy, and not all that surprised, as if they were nothing more than holiday visitors who had been delayed. Chris wasn't convinced the sentiment was genuine. His dad had been detached even during the best of times, so his glib vibrancy was more than just out of character.

 His dad had been detached even during the best of times, so his glib vibrancy was more than just out of character

Scott glanced at each of them while sporting a close-lipped smile. "Welcome back, Kimo, and thanks for bringing my boys and. . ." He narrowed his eyes at Cassie as if he recognized her but was unable to piece the entire tale together.

"Dad, we found you . . . finally," Joe said, interrupting Scott's moment of uncertainty and Cassie's chance to offer the information he lacked.

Though Joe's sarcasm was unmistakable, Scott didn't seem to notice. "I'm glad you did. It's been a long time!" He grasped Joe in a quick hug. They released each other, and then Chris begrudgingly made eye contact with his father. "Chris!" said Scott MacRae.

"Dad," Chris replied flatly.

There was an awkward moment in which Scott held his arms out and Chris had to decide whether to accept his father's embrace. But Chris's eyes dropped and the moment was over, the decision made. When Chris looked back up, Scott's hand was on Joe's shoulder, and they were walking into the hut together, side by side, father and son.

Kimo stepped inside next, and Chris expected Cassie to follow suit, but she remained by his side. She was looking up at him expectantly, as if waiting for his go-ahead. He was about to give it to her with a smile, half real and half forced. Then he accepted that it would look too similar to the one his father just faked. Chris put an end to before it truly began and gave her another nod instead.

Her responding grin was subtle, amused, but thankfully understanding.

"Welcome to Kāne territory," Scott exclaimed proudly as they entered.

The hut was extremely primitive inside—dirt floors, scantly furnished eating and living areas, and nonexistent embellishment. Other than a fireplace, a rack of weapons by the door, and a couple of alcoves without doors, there wasn't much else to see.