Chapter Five- Where's Your Sense Of Adventure

Start from the beginning

After my talk with Davie, Mason was assigned to me. I would show him the ins and out of the aquarium. I hated the idea but Davie insisted I be his mentor.

"Stop laughing!" He growled shoving the bucket into my hands. "You feed the damn animal!"

I shrugged and made my way towards Wally. He gazed up at me and I could see his amusement. I fed him and cleaned his tank before playing with Wally.

The whole time Mason hung back and glared at me. His grey eyes were burning holes into my back. I didn't care--Mason wasn't cut out for this.

Maybe he'll realize this and choose to go through with jail time. At least then I'd be rid of one problem.

"Tuna freak." He mumbled under his breath as we went back inside.

"Bastard." I shot back catching him by surprise.

"That's all you have princess?" He scoffed, shouldering past me to sit at the front desk.

"It's better than tuna freak, bastard." I spat, rolling my eyes.

"So how's your bestie and her boy toy? Oh wait you wouldn't know because she dumped your ass." He smirked darkly.

My heart involuntarily dropped. He had hit below the belt. If I didn't hate him already--then I would have said this was a defining moment where I truly hated Mason Reynolds.

"Shut up!" A voice growled coming to my rescue. My eyes snapped to the entrance of the aquarium.

There he stood--like a knight in shining....Letterman jacket. Laine Miller came to my rescue again. My heart pounded loudly against my chest.

"Don't ever fucking talk to her again! You're such a fucking prick Reynolds." Laine spat, narrowing his eyes at Mason. My little ten year old self was somewhere doing a victory dance.

"What are you doing here preppy?" Mason glared at him.

"That's none of your concern." Laine retorted stepping in front of me like a protective barrier.

I'd dreamt of this my entire life. I always wanted Laine to come to my rescue and whisk me away in his car. To drive off and live happily ever after, surrounded by penguins and a life supply of nutella.

But this wasn't a fantasy-this was real. And I knew Laine wouldn't sweep me off my feet-instead he'd sweep Brie up and carry her off.

And I would be left here with Man-whore Mason.

"Ally are you okay?" Brie's hand landed on my shoulder softly. I turned to look at her. She looked at me worriedly in the warmth of her blue eyes.

"I'm fine." I said coolly. "What are you doing here?" I raised my eyebrow shrugging off her hand. Brie's face fell and she stepped away from me, sensing that things weren't going back to normal anytime soon.

"I came to pick up a layout for a new poster." She answered softly.

"Do you want us to take you home?" Laine asked tearing his glare away from Mason.

"I don't think so. I have to lock up here" I said sparing them both a tight lipped smile.

"Okay...." Brie smiled at me genuinely before turning to Mason with a look of disgust. "Someone has to lock up before Mason and his gang bangers come in here again." Brie spat out glaring at Mason before turning to me with a genuine smile, "Someone has to be responsible."

"Aww come on blondie, don't be so cold." Mason mocked her leaning towards her. Laine quickly shoved him away and glared at Mason.

"Back the fuck off!" he snapped. Mason smirked and raised his hands in defeat.