chapter 7

At least everyone thought so. The next morning, all the fairies gathered around the new tree they all created to defeat Hexxus with. Crysta was gone and no one could find her. Some new moss grew on the tree complete with blooming flowers, but one opened up and it had Crysta inside! She woke up suddenly before everyone and floated down toward them, bringing smiles to their faces. As she floated down, a bunch of flowers sprouted within her trail. Zak was very happy to see her and reunited to her with a hug.

"So, all this is a fairy world?" Whitney asked.

"That's right." Cherry replied, after explaining FernGully to her and Katie.

"That sounds magical and peaceful." Whitney smiled.

"It was, but be careful or else you're an iguana's lunch." Cherry advised with a nervous chuckle.

Whitney hummed and thought about something.

"We did it, guys." Crysta told Zak and Cherry. "Now Hexxus can never harm FernGully again."

Zak's smiled turned into a frown. "But humans still could. That's why Cherry and I have to go back. There's a part of me that really wants to stay."

Crysta looked at them, mainly Zak. She put a hand on her heart. "There's a part of you that will always stay." She then handed Zak a seed and it glowed in his hand. "Remember Zak and Cherry, remember everything."

"Can I stay here?" Whitney asked.

Everyone faced her.

"This place sounds more peaceful than back home, I think I'd actually be happier here." Whitney said. "I love nature now and find it exotic and beautiful. I know I'm needed at home, but maybe Mom and Dad will rest easier with just Zak home instead of us back home."

"Are you sure, Whitney?" Katie asked.

"Yes, I choose to stay." Whitney said. "So, what about it? Can I stay?"

Crysta smiled at Zak and Whitney.

"I'll miss you, little sister." Zak looked up with a sad smile.

"I'll miss you too, big brother." Whitney chuckled. It was funny calling each other that now because of the size issues.

Zak walked along and shook hands with Pips. He even gave him a thumbs up. "Keep the stereo, dude."

"Thanks...dude..." Pips did a thumbs up too, wondering what it meant.

"What was done, now undo, return you to the form that's true." Crysta worked her magic. It successfully worked this time and now Zak and Cherry were back to their normal sizes. Crysta then turned to Whitney. "Are you really sure you want to stay in FernGully and maybe never see your brother again?"

"Hey, don't say it like that, of course I'll see him again, but yes, I'm sure." Whitney replied with a smile.

Crysta sighed and then worked her magic again. She did the spell she used on Zak and Cherry in the first place and made Whitney into the size of a fairy. Whitney looked around to see her new friends and family. She laughed and then ran into Pips. "Oh, excuse me." Whitney blushed at him.

"It's alright," Pips smiled, helping her up. "You are a bodacious babe."

Whitney blushed again and giggled.

"Hey now, behave you two!" Zak playfully scolded the new couple.

"Come on, we gotta get home." Cherry smiled, then left with Zak and Katie.

Crysta sighed as she watched them leave. "Goodbye, Zak and Cherry..." she said, softly.

Cherry, Zak and Katie were walking. Zak looked down sadly and saw Batty on the ground, not moving. Zak picked him up and was hoping he wasn't dead. He poked the bat and some sparks woke the bat up.

"I've shrunk!" Batty gasped. He then flew off out of Zak's hands. 

"Zak!" Tony's voice called.

Zak, Cherry and Katie turned to the men.

"What happened here?" Ralph asked.

Zak and Cherry looked around the freshened forest. They saw numerous dead trees, but that one tree the fairies made. Hopefully, within time, things would be all fine with the FernGully villagers and Whitney. Zak then smiled, he knew what to do. He bent down and put the seed in the ground to grow a new true and recreate the world of FernGully. "I will remember." he said to himself. He then put his arms around Ralph and Tony and walked out of the forest. "Guys, things have gotta change."

"So, how was your vacation, Cherry?" Katie asked.

"Wild," Cherry sighed. "It was a lot like summer camp."

"Cherry, those stories you had in camp couldn't have been bad compared to what you've been through the past few days!"

"Trust me, they were! I was almost eaten alive by an iguana!"

"Cherry..."

"She's right, Katie, I was almost dessert!" Zak added.

Crysta watched the humans leave to never be seen again. She then waved her magic taken from the Magi and helped the seed that Zak planted grow to make their home more vibrant and lively like they all remembered. The humans then turned to see that Crysta was recreating the whole forest and making like the demolitions never happened. Flowers bloomed, seeds popped, trees grew, it was just like how it was before they decided to cut down everything. Zak and Cherry smiled, they knew how that happened besides their part and donation. They all shared smiles and left the forest. 

Crysta watched them leave. Pips came behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. They both shared a smile and flew away together.

"Hey, wait for me!" Whitney ran with them.

Pips smiled and came back. He then picked Whitney up over his shoulders and flew her to their home where she would spend the rest of her life. In a new home, in a new place where she felt like she could truly belong in. Batty decided to fly with them as he had his new home as well as Whitney. Things were going to change for the better on the planet now. For our children and our children's children. Cherry and Katie talked about their adventure in the last rainforest and spent their last day of vacation actually having fun and not killing any endangered species. 

"I'm sorry about Hexxus, Nee-Bear." Katie said as they were now in the airport, waiting to be taken home. 

"That's okay, Kat, you didn't know," Cherry said to her. "I'm just glad I came out alive!"

Katie smiled. "I wouldn't mind having that black dress to my wardrobe though."

Cherry and Katie heard the intercom for Cherry to now go home.

"I'll see you later," Cherry stood, shaking Katie's hand. "I need to go home and take a long shower."

Katie laughed and waved. "Message me when you get home!"

"Of course!" Cherry waved, then quickly grabbed her carry-on bag to get on the plane with.