He flinched.

"I, I mean, you know," you stuttered, trying to save yourself after saying such a thing in front of a Vice Admiral.

"I don't blame you," he said, cutting you off. "But right now, there isn't much of a better choice. See it as the lesser of two evils, per se. You could really help people, make up for some of the bad."

You bit your lip.

"You don't have to choose now, but---"

"I'll join, then," you said softly. "If I may. But that doesn't mean I don't hate Marines."

He shot you an uneasy glance. "Well," he said, "start here. I'll see you be put as a Captain, and your bounty be deactivated. Allow me to show you to where you'll be staying?"

You nodded. You hate Marines, you promised yourself, even if that meant hating yourself and the man who pulled you away from living in hell the rest of your life.

____

"Smoker!" you called through gritted teeth, barely fending off several strong pirates.

He spared just a glance before drifting back as smoke and reforming, quickly disposing of the devil fruit users with his jitte, the tip being infused with sea prism stone.

"Thanks," you muttered, a little out of breath. "I'll take them to the ship."

Smoker watched you cuff them quickly and drag them by the chains. His eyes followed your figure, as if entranced. Feeling eyes boring into your back, you glanced behind you, catching Smoker turn his head in an instant. Your lips involuntarily bent up.

Tashigi sighed, watching the whole thing. "You know, neither of you are particularly stupid," she said, grabbing Smoker's attention, "but really?"

"I have no clue what you're talking about," he said stubbornly. "I should go check on... stuff. Bring in the rest."

Tashigi nodded, letting Smoker go on his merry way with a million thoughts swarming his mind. You trusted him, clearly, but you hated him. Right? At least he wasn't the only one thinking that. You let your subconsciousness kick in, putting the pirates in cells as your mind continued to work at a hundred thoughts a second.

"(Y/N)," came a gruff voice.

"Smoker," you returned. "Did you need something?"

"Meet me in my office, in 5, please."

"Please, huh? I'd say you're an imposter, tryna kill me." You heard a low sigh. You laughed quietly, music to Smoker's ears. "Alright, I'll be there in a bit."

Footsteps, then a door closing. Anticipation threaded through your body, and in a few minutes, you made your way to Smoker's office; a small-ish room where file cabinets and wanted posters made up most of the space. You knocked before entering and you took a seat in front of his desk.

He glanced up from his papers before humming and straightening the files, then setting them aside. He was particular with neatness, despite his unkempt appearance.

"(Y/N)," he started. "Through the past months, I've been thinking a lot about our relationship."

"Oh?"

"And, through those thoughts, I've two questions. First being, how do you feel about the Marines?"

You hummed. You supposed you didn't know the answer to it, but you figured you'd find out as you let your heart control your words. "I do not hate them as a concept, but from what it's become, I do hate the Marines, but I do not hate those who are Marines. As the concept it's become, yes. Of the people it's comprised of, no."

He was surprisingly pleased by the answer, as were you. "I see..."

"And, what was the second question?"

He forced out the words before he had time to doubt himself. "And, how do you feel about me?"

"Why," you said, unable to hide a smile, "I'd say I love you, Smoker. Though, that's a little inappropriate considering our ranks and situation. I've a question for you, now. How do you feel about me?"

A small, but genuinely happy smile adorned his face. "Why," he said, "I'd say I love you, (Y/N). Though, I'd say I don't care about how appropriate it is."

You chuckled, and Smoker couldn't help but laugh gently as well. "I'm glad, because I don't either."

The two of you sat in a comfortable quiet for a while, the sound deprived atmosphere filled with a sense of love.

You finally spoke up. "Smoker, thanks. For saving me, and bringing me in. And loving me."

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I kiss you?"

You grinned widely before letting out a hearty laugh. "Yes, of course."

He stood and walked in front of you, taking your smiling face into his gloved hands. You stood and wrapped your arms around his neck, bringing him in for a clumsy kiss of unexperienced, chapped lips.

When you pulled away, the two of you shared a small smile.

"We suck," you laughed.

"Yeah. Yeah we do." And he pulled you in for another one.