Chapter Sixteen

Five o'clock comes around, and I find myself sat on my bed, waiting for Fox. I haven't heard from him all afternoon, and I'm starting to fear that he either forgot about me going out with him, or I'm about to be stood up.

I check my phone, the time reading 5:13 P.M. I sigh and look over at Claire, who is laying in her bed. "I seriously think I'm going to get stood up," I tell her. I almost feel embarrassed, like I shouldn't have mentioned tonight to her. If I would've kept quiet, getting stood up wouldn't be so embarrassing.

"Relax, he said around five, right? That could mean five, or it can mean closer to five-thirty." She says.

"But then he would've said five-thirty." I argue. I mean it though, usually around five means anywhere from five to about ten minutes later. Sometimes even before. If Fox doesn't show up, I tell myself, I am done. He's lucky I'm giving him this chance, and here he is about to throw it away.

I rant to Claire, telling her that hanging out with him after the concert was a mistake, and I should've never let Fox step foot into my life like this. I should've met him at orientation then forgot about him. Claire defends him, telling me that I should give him the benefit of the doubt. I know she's rooting for me and Fox to work out, but I just don't know.

As my best friend is lecturing me, my phone dings, receiving a text message. I jump and immediately grab my phone, though I'm disappointed to see that it's not a message from Fox. Instead, it's from Adam. I deleted his number, but I dated him long enough to still have it memorized.

"Is it Fox?" Claire asks, staring at me.

I shake my head, "No, it's Alicia." I lie. I still haven't told her that I've been talking to Adam again. I know she's completely against that idea. The two of us don't talk often, but we do check up on each other. It's easier said than done to let him out of my life completely.

 It's easier said than done to let him out of my life completely

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I read the message, but I don't reply. I can't start a conversation with him right now, I have way too much going on. I check the time, it's now 5:28. I decide to give in and text Fox.

ME: Hey, what time will you be here?

I don't want to ask if he's still coming, because that sounds desperate. Instead, I remind him that we made plans and he should stick to them.

Minutes pass, and as soon as the time hits 5:40, I slip off my shoes, officially starting to give up. Claire looks at me, frowning. I take my wavy hair out of the bun it was in, letting the waves fall down my back.

"Well, I wasted a good outfit." I sigh.

Claire sighs, and when she opens her mouth to respond, we're interrupted by a knock on the door. I look at the door, then at Claire. "Go get it!" She whispers. I rise from my bed, taking my time to the door as the knocking begins again.

I open the door and find Fox, smiling, though heavy breathing. I open the door wider, allowing him to step in. I stare at him blankly, waiting for him to say something.