7

7

"You are drunk!" Anastasia mutters through her teeth.

I had stumbled a little, while walking up the ramp, a brand new territorial experience under intoxication, thereby giving my ruse away.

"I told you I was somewhere."

She points to my car, half of its back sticking out onto the street, her bloodshot eyes widening. "Did you drive here?"

"I told you, I - was somewhere."

She ignores me and shuts the door behind us as quietly as possible.

I help myself inside, tripping at the doormat, an overtly optimistic 'WELCOME' woven in cursive, inviting a slight shush from Anastasia.

I bend down to smoothen the irritated edge down when she says, "I wasn't always paralyzed. It took me one impulsive decision to cost myself my mobility. More than often we do not appreciate the privileges we are given until they are gone. Don't saunter down the same path, Brooklyn."

I just nod with my back to her, unsure about how to respond.

"Why did you call?" I ask.

"Keep the noise on the low, will you?" She hisses at me.

She wheels herself into a room on the left with the door ajar and looks back. "Do you need an invite?"

Without another word exchanged, I follow her in.

I take the only available seat on the bed as she closes the door to the tiny beige bedroom. A strip of light creates deep blue hues on the adjacent walls, from the blue colored curtains, covered with polaroids.
I take her laptop from her when she hands it to me, a conversation thread with Harvey already open.

I did not even know his full name before.

Harvey Pham.

Anastasia Collins: Hey Harvey, can we talk for a sec?

Harvey Pham: Sure. What's up?

Anastasia Collins: I know what happened that day. I got it out of Brooklyn. And please do not be scared, we did not tell anyone and we will never do it. I just want to talk about it. Please, just don't be scared.

It had taken Harvey a whole ten minutes to write back.

Harvey Pham: Okay.

Anastasia Collins: Was that the first time?

Five minutes between the reply.

Harvey Pham: No.

Anastasia Collins: Does anyone else know?

Harvey Pham: No. No one. I guess other than you and Brooklyn. Heard he got suspended. How's he?

Anastasia Collins: He seems to be fine. At least, he acts like he is.

I look up from the screen for a second. She was lying back on her chair, pinching the bridge of her nose.
Somehow people talking kindly about me in my absence feels both fulfilling and cumbersome.

Anastasia Collins: Why have you never talked about it to anyone?

Harvey Pham: I did once to someone. Now he takes advantage of me.

Anastasia Collins: What do you mean?

Harvey Pham: I think I have said too much already.

Anastasia Collins: No. You haven't. This has obviously been going on for long enough. What did Richard Baker do to you?

I can almost feel Harvey sigh before writing back.