Chapter 8

I walked into the kitchen just as Pearl walked in, carrying a cup of coffee from the living room. "Morning," I said, placing wet sandals on the other side of the door.

"Morning," Pearl said. She smiled at me and glanced at me over, making sure that I was alright before looking me in the eyes. "Had a nice swim?"

I nodded my head, smiling at my second mother. "I stayed in human form," I promised, and she nodded.

"I was sure that you did." She walked over to me and hugged me, not caring that I was wet. "I am proud, so of you," she whispered.

I hugged her back and closed my eyes. A feeling of grief and hopelessness washed, and I had no idea if it was because my mother was kidnapped, and I couldn't do anything about it or if it was something else entirely different.

Pearl sighed and pulled away from me. She studied me and placed her hand on my cheek. Her bright green eyes were filled with pain, and I think she knew what I was thinking.

I placed my hand over hers and looked down. "Hey, Pearl?" I asked, thinking back to the day my grandfather had come into the room when I had woken up.

"Hmmm?" Pearl asked. She gestured for me to sit at the table, walked over to the sink, and placed her cup there. "What is it?" She turned towards me and folded her arms across her chest as she studied me.

"Why does Brady know about me, but others don't?" I asked. "I mean, Merrin seemed shocked to see me laying in a room."

Pearl walked over to the chairs and sat down in one. Her whole body was relaxed as she studied me, trying to come up with an explanation that I would understand.

"She and your mother were best friends," someone said from the doorway. Dylan walked into the kitchen and walked towards his Chosen. He placed a kiss on her lips and looked at me. "I was her Protector, her bodyguard."

I bit back a scowl. I had a feeling that there was a reason as to why he hadn't been there to stop him from taking her. However, that didn't stop the anger that I felt for him at that moment.

"He had created a diversion in the ocean on the far side of the island," Dylan said, catching the twitch of my lips. He moved a hand through his hair and sighed, grimacing. He looked guilty and sad that this happened to her and me. "Brady was the first one that thought it could be a trap, but it was too late."

"My mother was captured, and I was injured," I said, and he nodded. I sighed and moved a hand through my hair. "Does that make Brady my..."

"He is your personal bodyguard, yes," Dylan said. "But he is still your best friend."

"And family, even though he is a pain in my ass." I noticed Brady and Aquamarine walk into the house with Oceania behind them.

Brady scowled and narrowed his eyes at me. "You know that you can repel the water from your body, so you don't make puddles, right Princey Boy?"

I scowled at him. "If I did, then I wouldn't be soaking wet right now."

"Ya, and look like a drowned dog," Oceay said. She took a step back when she caught my look and pointed a finger at me. "Don't you dare, Tyler River," she warned, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Do what, Oceay?" I asked, standing. I walked over to her, and she busted out laughing and tried to get away from me. "This?" I hugged her and placed a slobbery kiss on her cheek.

"Eew," she said when I licked her cheek afterward. "You are disgusting."

I let go of her and shrugged. I could feel Aquamarine's jealous glare on my back and look at her, and she tried to make it seem like she hadn't been glaring at me. "Would you like it done, too?" I asked, cocking my head.

"It depends. Do you want to sing soprano?" she asked, taking a step back from me as I started to make my way towards her.

I shrugged my shoulder and took another step towards her. I could feel this energy that wanted me to take her right then and there, but I didn't do that yet. I did want to plant a kiss on her cheek. I wanted to see how she tasted and if she tasted like salt. "It depends, do you like a guy that can sing soprano?"

Brady bit back a snort and watched me almost close in on her. "Cut it out and go take a shower," he said, and I looked at him. "We're going to be late if you don't."

I stopped advancing towards her and took a deep breath. I closed my eyes and squeezed my hands into tight fists, trying to stop the urge to continue.

Finally, I let out a breath and nodded my head before opening my eyes to see Aquamarine still staring at me. "Are you going to school, too, or..?"

"Haven't decided yet," she replied, relaxing slightly. "Why should I see you hang off of girls? I mean, anyone of them can be your girlfriend, and they can be going in for kisses and what not."

I set my jaw, ignoring the feeling of hurt. "That was just low, even for you," I said, and she flinched and looked down. "There are girls that do want to be considered my "girlfriend." I kindly reject them all, some many times because they can't get the message."

Brady snorted, knowing exactly who I was talking about. "I am really waiting for you to punch her," he said. "She is going to be pissed."

"She will be, but I won't unless she threatens someone that I care about or attacks someone else." I moved a hand through my hair and sighed. "I'll see you later?" I asked, looking at Aquamarine.

"Maybe, maybe not," she replied coldly, and I pursed my lips in annoyance. "Why aren't you asking her?" She jabbed her chin toward Oceania.

"Because my sister lives here, and I know I will be seeing her after school. Didn't we have this conversation yesterday?" Annoyance flared through my body as I looked at her, my lip pursed.

Aquamarine stayed silent and set her jaw.

I shook my head and huffed. "You know what? I am done. If you want to be my Chosen, then act like it and help me understand what it is like to be one. I am tired of this back and forth. I have other stuff to worry about. Excuse me."

And with that, I left, my heart feeling as if it was being pulled into two directions.

What have I done?