chapter 2

Robert Henri once said that "A work of art is the trace of a magnificent struggle." And I see my life as a work of art. A Dadaism art, showing off nothing but nonsensical well-being of someone who is alive but barely breathing. Well, as you can see, it's not that easy to figure ideas for paintings. If you think that Vincent Van Gogh and Leonardo da Vinci illustrated Starry Night and Mona Lisa only for a reason of telling people that they can produce extraordinary paintings and eventually gain fame, you have thought wrong. 

For me, painting is never about that stupid fame. Probably for some artists, it is but for me, never. It's totally about explaining a side of perception. Stating an opinion—that clearly matters because you stated it, nonverbally but through art. To be an artist, you have to see life in a different way. To be an artist, you have to prove a certain point of view without exactly telling that person. Without talking to them and argue with words.

Anybody could be an artist. It's just that in life, people tend to see art as a waste of time. It is tiring and never a productive hobby, they say, because not everyone could see your paintings. Yes, but eventually they will. All you need is a teaspoon of confidence, a kilogram of determination and 1 sack of passion.

Mr. Vasquez started talking once again. "Standing here in front of you, Head Mistress Peterson, are the 13 lucky artists from different countries." He introduced. "As planned, they all will be divided into two, and since 13 is an odd number, the first team will be having 7 members and the second one will be having 6. Ms. Peterson will explain everything further." And the supervisor took his seat. Ms. Peterson, with Mr. Herrera and Mr. Tominez on both of her side, stood up and smiled at us with authority. 

With a British accent, she began, "We have assigned your numbers already and it will be with you until the end of this project. Mr. Apollo, assisted by Mr. Foxx here, will be giving you your number badges. 1 Penelope Cortez. 2 Hans Ode McFarlane. 3 Dara Sanches. 4 Boyce Wrights. 5 Gregory William Gogh. 6 Timothy Angelo Yap. 7 Sven Miller, you will be the first team. While 8 Ormosia Aduana. 9 Eloise Margaret Hillary. 10 Desime Adrianne Millark. 11 Raven Alba. 12 Kirk Tyler Ty. 13 Dwayne Dexter Beaumont, you will be the second team. Mr. Herrera will be leading and supervising the firs—." Ms. Peterson's words were interrupted when Kohle butted in. 

"Uhm, actually, no. I will be handling the second team, Ms. Peterson. I am terribly sure that Mr. Tominez would be able to handle 7 artists with him. Right, Tominez?" he looked at Mr. Tominez and raised his perfectly curved eyebrows. The latter just shrugged and averted his gaze from Kohle.

"Absolutely." He replied, late.

A smile creeped across Kohle's lips. "See, Ms.?" He showed too much enthusiasm like a child given 10 bucks for a basket full of candies and chocolates and toys. Hmm, I wonder what made him think of handling our team. I won't hope but I really think that I'm right.

Ms. Peterson was about to speak when Mr. Tominez, I still don't know what his name is, spoke out of a sudden. "I can if I will, of course. But I apologize that I won't be giving you what you want. I will be leading the 2nd team, thank you Herrera." He said sarcastically. We were all astonished with the scene because we all saw how Kohle's expression change from enthusiastic to annoyed.

"And why is that?" he looks like he wanted to fight with Tominez which is very unlikely him. He is a promoter and advertiser of peace. He, himself, looks like a figurine of peace. So Adonis, so quiet and... always the calm person. I never expected to see him act like this.

"Because I said so. I get what I want and I want the second team with me. You wanna show off some lame leadership and excessive power, don't you? Then go ahead and show it by handling the first team, you asshole." The hazel-eyed man casually talked to Kohle and he showed the latter a very irritating smile. One that could boil your blood to 450 F. It was super sheepish like he really intended to piss Kohle more!