65| Fighting Together

(This is the 66th part in this book. But don't worry, no Jedi were harmed in the making of this chapter.)

As they rounded the next bend, they were met by another large group of stormtroopers. Poe, Finn, Rose, Kaydel and Chewbacca shot at them with their blasters.

Rey and Ben charged at them, wielding their lightsabers.

Ben was using his grandfather's lightsaber. It was far different from the red lightsaber he had built himself. The red lightsaber was fierce and wild like a fire, it was like Kylo's conflicted spirit. Now, his conflict was finally gone. He had been torn between light and darkness. But now, he had chosen the Light Side. Rey was a like a ray of sunshine, and it was the light within her that had pulled him out of the darkness. Now his spirit was more like the lightsaber he held in his hand, calm.

Rey was also using a new weapon. But it was not unfamiliar to her. She had ignited both ends of the lightsaber and found it familiar. She could fight with it the same way she had fought with her staff on Jakku. Rey held the lightsaber with both hands. Then, she spun quickly in a circle, cutting two stormtroopers with the blades of her lightsaber, and hitting a third with the extra long hilt. He doubled over, and Rey kicked him clear.

Ben stabbed one stormtrooper, then quickly removed his lightsaber and swept it behind his back, cutting another stormtrooper in the chest. Then he moved quickly to stab another stormtrooper, who was pointing a blaster at Rey, in the back. He was just in time to stop the stormtrooper before he could shoot Rey. Then he twisted the lightsaber in a figure eight, striking down three more of the stormtroopers.

Rey was surrounded by four stormtroopers. She held her lightsaber above her head. She twisted her wrist, spinning her lightsaber in a circle. The stroke was deadly, taking down all four of them. Now the last of the stormtroopers who had been blocking their path were down.

"That was amazing!" said Ben.

"I love this lightsaber," Rey answered, smiling.

Ben smiled back.

The others were surprised. Was this really Kylo Ren? He certainly wasn't how they had imagined him. He was ... human, not just a monster or a creature in a mask. They had just witnessed him smile and express emotions other than hate or anger. Perhaps they were wrong about him, or maybe Rey had changed him somehow. But they had no time to talk or think about it, as another group of stormtroopers approached.

Rey heard them coming. She took up her lightsaber, gave a loud battle cry and charged at the approaching stormtroopers.

The stormtroopers looked down and saw their fallen comrades. Then they looked up and saw the screaming girl coming towards them. They immediately began to retreat from her, running back the way they had come. Rey followed them, still screaming and wielding her lightsaber.

"She certainly has courage," said Ben, watching her charge at the enemy.

"What good will it do her if she gets herself killed?" Finn asked.

"I won't let that happen," Ben answered, and he charged after Rey.

Rey had chased the stormtroopers down the hall a little ways. The stormtroopers had not cease their retreat, until they ran into another group of stormtroopers. Rey saw that she was outnumbered, and ran back down the hall towards her friends. She was followed by the group of stormtroopers.

Rey ran away from the stormtroopers, until she saw Ben running towards her with his lightsaber. She stopped and turned back to face the enemy.

Ben hurried to join her. "It looks like it's just us."

"But we fight well together," she answered, thinking about when they had faced Snoke's guards together.

"As long as we're fighting for each other, instead of against each other," Ben answered. Then they both stood ready to fight the stormtroopers.