63 | Poe

Poe watched as BB-8 tried to cut a hole in the door with his laser.

"You can do it, buddy," said Poe.

Just then the door opened and BB-8 saw Rey standing outside. "BB-8!" she exclaimed. She bent down and hugged him.

Ben knelt down next to Rey and BB-8. He looked at the little droid. He looked similar to BB-9E. If Ben was honest, he would have to admit that he had grown rather found of the little black droid. He looked at BB-8. "The droid I've heard so much about," he said. "The one with the map to Skywalker. The one who stole the Millennium Falcon."

BB-8 turned his head and saw Kylo Ren. He zapped him.

"Ow!" Ben cried, rubbing his hand where BB-8 had zapped it.

"It's alright, BB-8, he's my friend," Rey said.

BB-8 retracted his zapper.

Just then Poe came out of the cell. "Hi, Rey," he said. "Thanks for getting us out." Then Poe saw Kylo kneeling next to Rey. "You!" he said. Before Rey could stop him, Poe charged towards Kylo and punched him in the face, sending Ben backwards.

"Nice," said Finn, and Rey turned to glare at him.

BB-8 reignited his zapper.

"I turn against the First Order, and free all of you, and this is thanks I get?" said Ben.

Rey offered him her hand, he took it and she helped him to his feet.

"Rey, what is he doing here?" Poe asked.

"I'm trying to help you escape. But it's kind of hard when you keep punching me," he looked at Poe. "And zapping me." He added looking at BB-8. 

BB-8 zapped Ben's foot.

"Ow!" Ben yelled and hopped on one foot.

"Good job, buddy," said Poe. Finn nodded and gave Poe a high five. Then Poe stepped towards Ben, trying to seem intimidating. But it didn't work, Ben had faced much more intimidating enemies before. Poe was several inches shorter than Ben, and he stared down at him unmoving.

Finn decided to back his friend up. He stepped to stand next to Poe, with his arms crossed. But still, Ben was not intimidated. He could strike them both down with one stroke, but he wouldn't.

Ben raised his hand. "You're Rey's friends and I don't want to hurt you. I'm trying to rescue you, but I will use the Force to make you unconscious if I have to. But then me and Rey will have to drag you out of here. And that might draw a lot of attention. Or you could just try to escape without us."

"We've done it before," said Finn. "Come on Rey, Poe, let's get the others and get out of here."

"I'm not leaving without him," said Rey.

Finn stared at her for several moments, he knew how stubborn she could be. "Fine," he agreed.

Poe pointed a finger at Ben. "If you try anything I won't hesitate to blast you," he said.

"Poe!" said Rey.

"He can come, but I still don't trust him," he answered.

Ben rolled his eyes at the words he can come, as if he needed his permission to tag along. He was the one who had freed them to begin with.

"Is this everyone?" Rey asked.

"No, Rose, Kaydel, Chewie, and R2-D2 were also captured," said Poe. "No thanks to him!" he added pointing to Ben.

"I didn't capture you and your friends, I only captured Rey."

"Exactly," said Finn. "So you admit you captured her?"

"I never denied it," Ben replied. "And I only did it to keep the First Order from killing her."

"So, by kidnapping her, you were rescuing her?" Poe asked doubtfully.

"Hux ordered the stormtroopers to shoot Rey, but I couldn't let them kill her," Ben answered.

"Why not?" Poe asked.

Rey gave Poe a puzzled look.

"She's your enemy, just like the rest of us," Poe continued.

"Not anymore," Ben answered.

"You still haven't answered my question," Poe replied. "Why couldn't you kill her."

"She's the only one who ever believed in me," Ben answered. "And she's the only one who cares about me."

Finn nodded. "She was the only one who believed in me after I left the First Order," he said. He realized that he wasn't much different than him. He had been given a second chance, Ben deserved one too.

"Then you understand why I couldn't kill her. I couldn't do it when I first met her and I couldn't do it now."

Finn nodded. "Well, since we're going to be working together, we might as well make a plan," said Finn. "First we need to free the others. Then we need to ..."

Ben pointed over Finn's shoulder with his chin.

Finn tried to ignore him and continued. "Then we need to get out of the prison area and hope that we don't run into any stormtroopers."

Again, Ben gestured over Finn's shoulder with his chin.

"Why do you keep doing this?" Finn mimicked the gesture Ben had been making. "I'm trying to make a plan."

Ben pointed with his finger behind Finn. Finn turned to see a group of stormtroopers coming towards them. Then he turned back to Ben. "You're just like Han Solo," he said.

"I wish I was," said Ben he then drew his grandfather's lightsaber.

"He would have been proud of you," said Rey. "For finally being able to defeat the darkness within you."

Ben nodded to Rey. Then he turned to the others."Rey and I will fight them off, you go free your friends."

Finn stared at him for a moment.

"You do know the codes that open the cells, don't you?" Ben asked.
"Of course I do," Finn replied. "Unless they've been changed."

"Not yet," Ben replied.

Finn nodded then moved to open the cells.

Rey went to stand and fight by Ben.