53 | Captured

Meanwhile, the Resistance had nearly beaten the First Order. The small group of stormtroopers had retreated from the attacking force.

Poe, BB8, Kaydel, Finn, Rose, R2D2, and Chewbacca stood in a circle, surrounded by stormtroopers. Finn, Rose, Poe and Kaydel fought them off with their blasters. And Chewbacca's bowcaster was no match for the stormtroopers' armor. They, the Resistance, and the Naboo army were beginning to overpower the fifty stormtroopers who had accompanied Kylo, Hux and Phasma to Naboo.

But just as the Resistance nearly beat them, the reinforcements came in small shuttles. They landed in the forest where the fight was under way.

The Naboo army and the other allies managed to retreat back a little from the army of stormtroopers. But the small group of Resistance fighters were surrounded by the enemy and had no choice but to stay and fight.

Chewbacca shot several stormtroopers and nocked down over a dozen more.

Lieutenant Kaydel shot two of the stormtroopers. But a third stormtrooper shot back at her. She moved to dodge the blast, but wasn't quick enough. The blast hit her in the side. She collapsed to the ground.

"Kaydel!" Poe exclaimed and went over to her. "Are you alright?"

"I think so," she answered. But he could hear the pain in her voice, and see the blood coming from her side.

He grabbed her hand and gently placed it over the wound. "Keep pressure on it," he told her, gently.

They were greatly outnumbered and overpowered. Soon, they had no choice but to lower their weapons. The stormtroopers held them there at gunpoint.

"Where's Ren?" Phasma asked.

"He went after the girl," said Hux.

"Rey!" Finn whispered, overhearing them.

"Should we go after them sir?" a stormtrooper asked.

"Yes," Hux replied. "They went that way." He pointed in the direction he had seen them go.

The stormtrooper began to walk in the direction he was pointing.

"Oh, and if you should find the girl... kill her," Hux added, with a cruel smile.

The stormtrooper saluted. "Yes, sir," he said.

Then the stormtrooper headed in the direction Hux was pointing, followed by two of his comrades.

After walking through the trees a short distance, they found Kylo Ren standing in front of the girl. Her lightsaber in his hand. She must have surrendered, they thought.

"Sir, we've captured a group of Resistance fighters," said the leader. "What should we do with them?"

"Should we kill them?" a second asked.

Kylo looked into Rey's eyes and saw the tears forming in them. She was afraid he would kill more of her friends.

"No, take them," Kylo ordered. Glancing at the stormtroopers for a second, then returning his gaze back to Rey. She knew that he was sparing their lives for her.

"And the girl, should we kill her?" the stormtrooper asked.

Kylo turned quickly to look at them. "No!" he said. Then added in an attempt to mask his compassion for her, "she may be of some use to us."

Kylo stared at the stormtrooper for a moment. "Did you not hear anything I said before we came to Naboo the first time? The girl is not to be harmed. Not a scratch!"

Rey stared at him. She was a little surprised by the way he was protecting her.

"Sorry, sir. General Hux said ..."

"I don't care what General Hux said!" Kylo snapped.

Kylo turned back to Rey. He gently touched her forehead with his fingers and used the Force to cause her to go unconscious. As when he had first met her, he caught her in his arms before she could hit the ground. Then he began to carry her carefully through the trees.

The stormtroopers followed him. One of them hurried to catch up with him. He had been the one to ask Ren if he wanted them to kill the girl. Now he was worried that he had made Kylo angry with him.

Kylo would have been upset with the stormtrooper, but he was too relieved that he had managed to keep Rey safe.

The stormtrooper wanted to do something to make up for going against Ren's wishes. "We could drag her to the ship for you sir," he suggested.

"That's fine, I have her," he answered.

"Are you sure?" the stormtrooper asked.

"Yes," Kylo answered, a bit sharply.

"This is why we should have used a clone army," he thought silently. "Clones follow orders, and they don't insist on doing things that you would rather take care of yourself."

He looked down at Rey, unconscious in his arms. He didn't like the idea of Rey being drug through the forest unconscious by a group of inconsiderate stormtroopers. She might get hurt. Besides she wasn't very heavy and he had carried her before, he couldn't see a reason not to carry her now.

"What do Hux and Phasma teach these stormtroopers?" he thought. "You shouldn't drag an unconscious girl through the forest, even if you're on the Dark Side."

Kylo wondered if he were just growing weaker, and more compassionate. Somehow, Rey just had that effect on him. He tried to fight it, but he didn't seem strong enough.

"Rey!" Finn cried as he saw her unconscious form being carried by the tall dark form of Kylo Ren. He was afraid that Rey had been hurt, or worse, killed.

"I see you got the girl," said Hux. "Did you end her?"

"There is still a chance she can be turned to the Dark Side," Kylo answered.

The Resistance was relieved to hear that Rey was alright, but they still feared for her.