40| The Allies Of The Resistance

Rey and Chewbacca had been walking for over an hour in the thick, hard rain.
Rey had spent most of her life on the desert planet, of Jakku. Rain was new to her. She remembered the first time she had felt raindrops on her skin. It was on Luke's island. She had taken shelter beneath the Millennium Falcon. But she couldn't resist reaching out to feel the rain on her hand.

But now she was not wearing a poncho and had nowhere to shelter from the rain. She could feel the cold drops of water on her face and upper arms. It was a strange, cold feeling.

She glanced at Chewie and giggled. His fur was soaked and dripping.

Chewbacca growled grumpily.

"You're soaked," she told him.

"So are you," he growled in reply.

Suddenly she could feel life stronger than before. "We're almost there!" she told Chewie. Then she quicken her pace towards their allies.

They were closer than she thought, and a moment later she found a group of Resistance allies. Their ship had crashed and now it only served as shelter for the group of a hundred fighters.

Rey went over and nocked on the door of their ship.

A short masked figure opened the door. She couldn't see his face, but she could sense that he was trying to figure out if she was a friend or a foe.

"We're with the Resistance. We've come to help you," she told him, with a friendly smile.

The short man removed his mask. He was an old man with a long grey beard. "You're just in time," he said. "We're running out of food and supplies." He looked behind her at Chewbacca, he was soaked and his fur was dripping. "Come in, you're soaked to the bone."

"Thank you," said Rey, then she and Chewbacca went inside.

"Follow me," said the man. "I'll take you to our leader."

Rey and Chewbacca followed the man through the halls of the small ship.

Soon, they came to the command center of the ship.

The room was filled with warriors, most of them were old but there were a few young ones among them. They all wore unique clothes that looked like a mixture of the kind of clothes a tribal race would wear and the armor worn by bounty hunters. All of warriors looked to be courageous and strong at heart, but Rey could see past their outer strength, she could tell that they were all very tired and hungry.

Rey knew how they felt. She'd experienced that level of hunger before. The brink of starvation. She had gone for days without food before. She had been so hungry that she could barely walk, but if she didn't she wouldn't get any food, and she would starve. So she had gathered the last of her strength to search for something to trade for food. Her life had depended upon it. But something inside her had always given her the strength to carry on.

She knew how the group before her felt and wanted to help them.

Suddenly her gaze was drawn to a figure that stood in the middle of the group. The figure wore a white mask on their face and white armor.

"The Resistance has come to help us," said the short man.

The figure turned to look at Rey and Chewbacca.

As the figure looked at Rey, she could sense that they were admiring her for courage. But Rey didn't think that she had courage. She was only doing what she felt she had to do. She didn't choose this life, but she couldn't go back... not now. There were too many people depending upon her.

Then the figure turned to look at Chewbacca, and Rey sensed a sudden spark of recognition in the masked figure.

Suddenly the figure removed the mask to reveal a woman's face. Her skin was beginning to wrinkle a little with age, but she had the face of a warrior. Her white hair was in tight curls and her cheeks were covered in freckles, making her look younger than the few wrinkles suggested.

"Chewbacca!" she exclaimed, smiling.

Chewbacca growled in greeting.

Suddenly her face became serious. "I'm sorry about Han. I was so proud when I heard that he had finally joined the rebellion," she said. Then she noticed the confusion on Rey's face, and explained. "I met Han Solo many years ago. We were enemies at first, but he helped us in the end, when he learned the truth about our cause. We tried to convince him to join us, ...to join the rebellion, but he didn't think that it was his fight. Years later, I received word that he had finally decided to join the rebellion," she paused for a moment. "In those times, people were willing to help each other. Now there is no one to turn to."

They were silent for a moment, then Rey spoke. "What's your name?" she asked.

"Enfys," she answered.

Rey nodded. "We've come to help you Enfys." She looked at the others in the room. "All of you."

They all exchanged surprised glances, they had given up hope that anyone would come to help them. It had been weeks since they sent out the message calling for aid. No one had responded.

Then they had received the Resistance's call for help. They had wanted to help the princess and her fighters, but they had no means to do so.

"We're with the Resistance," said Rey. "General Organa sent us to help you."

"Why would you help us, when you were the ones who called for aid?" asked the short man.

"Because we aren't like the First Order, we don't abandon our allies when they need us. And because the Resistance is scattered and few. You and others like you are our only hope, the galaxy's only hope."

Enfys smiled. "We are not their only hope,... you are."