85: autumn boys / taeseok

AUTUMN BOYS

WORD COUNT 2.5K
OVERVIEW hoseok shows up out of the blue and taehyung's never been more in love.
PLAYLIST tongue tied / grouplove, fallingforyou / the1975, i couldn't be more in love / the1975, flaming hot cheetos / clairo, lovesick boys / conan gray, 102 / the1975 ( long i knOw but there's SO MANY SONGS that fit this!! )

COOL, CRISP OCTOBER air embraces kim taehyung's slim body like a hug, the wind wrapping around his arms beneath the sleeves of his sweater as his skin prickles with goosebumps, knees pulled to his chest, feet bare on his apartment floor. he raises a cigarette to his lips, the smoke as grey as the skies outside.

autumn was always his favourite. he loves the colours, the dulled and faded-out colours remaining from summer, like second hand clothes, worn out. he loves the crisp leaves, loves the rain, the smell of smoke in the air. stereotypical indie boy loves a stereotypical fall. taehyung's just a cliché wrapped in cigarette smoke and coffee, every boy in every book that every girl wants.

the walls of the place he shares with several other come-and-goers are yellowed with nicotine, old, the ceiling spiderwebbed with cracks, the tiles on the kitchen backsplash cracked from age. it's not what anyone above taehyung's state would call a house, but to taehyung, it's a home away from what should be his home.

the phone in the corridor rings, and, as the only one currently in the house, taehyung rises to his weary feet and pushes his too-long fringe from his face, scraping his soles against the linoleum and picking up the clunky plastic receiver.

"hello?" he asks, voice scratchy and deep. the person on the other side chuckles dryly.

"hey, taetae,"

taehyung breathes in deeply, blowing cigarette smoke from his nostrils, eyes closing. "hoseok." he stubs the cigarette out on the wall, leaving a burn mark. god, hoseok. that name feels like a cup of warm tea on a winter day, like that feeling you only get when you feel completely safe. comfortable.

"i'm... i'm outside. well, not outside— i'm on the floor below and the door upstairs is locked," hoseok's all sweet voice, you can hear the smile on his face, and there's so many emotions washing over kim taehyung that it's a wonder he isn't crying. "could you buzz me up, or whatever it is you do?"

taehyung bites back a smile, hugging himself as he presses the button that'll 'buzz him up'. "that should do it. d'you want me to put the kettle on too?"

"ooh, if you don't mind, pet," hoseok chuckles, and taehyung smiles. there isn't a kettle, there's barely even gas in the apartment; if they want tea they won't get it here. "'ve got a bottle on me."

"what is it, cause your taste in alcohol is shite." taehyung says, tucking hair behind his ears. hoseok hums, and taehyung can hear his footsteps approaching the door.

"think you'll like it, petal, no worries."

and there he is, right outside taehyung's door, smiling through the hammered glass. taehyung smiles softly, putting the phone back on the hook and taking the latch off, opening up.

hoseok looks just like he always has. worn-out jeans, a band shirt that's seen better days, a big denim jacket he's had since fifteen. same old optimistic grin, hair a bit shaggier than last time, eyes warm as a mother's smile, and in his hand, a bottle of vodka. taehyung can't hold back a smile, flashing a bit of teeth.

"hey." hoseok smiles, voice warm and better than over the phone. he's got a voice that's familiar, even if you've never met him.

"hey." taehyung lets him in, closing the door, not bothering with the latch. he's a bit of a mess, as is the apartment; last night pandora threw a party, and it shows, the couch from the skip missing its cushions, crisps scattered across the floor, bottles littering the whole place. the kitchen's cleaner, so taehyung pull hoseok in that direction.