Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Can I see Leo Payne?" I asked. The police officer. He buzzed me in. Leo was my boyfriend. A couple of days ago, he was sent to jail because the police believe he set three fires and murdered Terri Norman. He wasn't responsible for any of those things. I accidentally set one of the fires. My sister, Tiffany, set the one that killed Terri Norman. I don't know why she did it. My sister went through a change in her life. The change made her alone, but she learned to like being alone. She has had boyfriends, although she doesn't really care for them. My sister doesn't care about anyone.

"Miss Walters, Mr. Payne is ready to see you." I followed him into a room. Inside the room was a table with a few chairs. Leo sat in one of them. He smiled at me, even though he was in jail. I sat in front of him. Guilt filled me. Leo didn't belong in here. He didn't set those fires. This place wasn't for him.

"I'm so sorry you're in here." I whispered.

"It's not your fault, Chels. You didn't put me here. Tiffany did and I think Stanley helped her. When I was first put here, Stanley came to see me. We were talking and a police officer came in. He said that someone sent in a tip that I set the fire. There were pictures of me there too. The person that sent in the tip was Stanley."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "What if Tiffany sent it using his name?"

"I don't know.I guess that could happen, but maybe I want it to be him." He admitted.

"Why? Stanley is our friend?"

"I'm jealous because he likes you." Leo jingled his handcuffs. He stared at the table.

"Well,  I like you, not him." I took his hand. He decided to change the subject.

"What happened with you and Tiffany?" He asked the question I didn't want him too. I closed my eyes and let the memory come back to me. My sister was laying on the ground in front of me. She looked up at me.

"Go ahead. Kill me." I had stared at her for a second. The moment to kill her had been right then. I didn't take it. I'd chosen to do something else.

"I love you." I had whispered. She'd stared at me in shock.

"What?"

"I love you, Tiffany. You're my sister. I don't think I could ever stop loving you."

"You're not going to kill me?" I nodded. "You're an idiot."

"I tell you I'm going to let you live and you insult me."

"I did because only an idiot would let me live." She explained.

I knelt down in front of her. "Am I an idiot or do I just have a heart?"

"I wouldn't have let you live." She snapped.

"I'm not you."

"I don't think that's true."

"It is." I leaned into her face. "I have a heart. I love people and they love me."

"Do you mean Leo? I may not know much about you anymore, but it's hard not to notice that." She met my gaze.

"I do love him a lot." I admitted.

"You just gave me something to us against you. I told you your emotions would get in the way. You should have listened to me."

"You're using him against me?" I growled. "You touch him and I will kill you."

"Using magic isn't exactly touching him." She stood and smiled.

"You wouldn't dare." I snarled.

"We both know I would." I sprang forward and tackled her. Her smile grew. "Now you've moved to physical blows."

"Chelsey!" Leo broke into my thoughts. He looked worried.

"I'm sorry. I've got a lot on my mind." If Leo wasn't here, I'd probably start crying again.

"What happened with you and Tiffany?" He repeated.

"She's still alive." This wasn't what he wanted to hear.

He shook his head. "I thought you were going to kill her?"

"You want me to kill someone?" I demanded.

"No, I just want you to be safe. I didn't really think you could do it. You're not a killer."

"I think everyone secretly thought."

"Did you make a truce?"

"No, things couldn't be worse between us." I was really angry at her. She had threaten the people I care about.

"What happened, then?" Curiosity covered his face. When I fought with Tiffany, I confessed that I love Leo, I wonder if he loves me too, even after what I did to Tiffany.

"I told her I couldn't kill her and that I loved her." I began.

"And?"

"She said I was an idiot for not killing her. Then she threatened somebody I love very much."

"What happened next?" He was still holding my hand. I looked at him in his orange clothes. His green eyes were understanding and his brown hair was messy.

"I did something I regret. I did something very wrong." He looked concerned.

"Mr. Payne, we have to take you back now." A police officer joined us. Leo turned to me.

"It's fine. I'll tell you everything later." He nodded and left. I went home, knowing my sister would be there when I got there.