41. the manifestation

Start from the beginning

"-And they belong to you, not your mother, not anyone, but you. They make you who you are, and whenever I see them, even now, the thought of your mother doesn't even cross my mind."

His smirk faded into something serious as our eyes stayed connected. The playful light in them darkened into something dangerous. An emotion that could get us both caught up.

I looked away first, and just like that the tension-filled air dispersed.

As we were driving down the road towards my house, Anthony pulled over to the side of the street and parked.

I waited for an explanation, praying he wouldn't say something about regretting the kiss or that it was a mistake. Anything but that.

"I kind of...don't want to go home just this minute."

He sort of ran his words together like he didn't want to say them, but they were out already.

It was amazing how he could be so intimidatingly attractive and imposing one minute and then the next he was this adorable being that you just wanted to stare at for hours.

I sounded like a creep.

"Why not?" I whispered, holding back from rubbing his hand which was on the console next to me.

I was honestly never the affectionate type, I was awkward at hugs. My chin would somehow always collide with the persons' shoulder blade, and when it came down to holding hands I hated that because mine would get pretty sweaty when I was nervous.

Which was often.

Disregarding all of that, whenever Anthony and I hugged I somehow...folded into his frame like I was...like I was...

Oh God.

I couldn't even finish my thoughts because I already knew what that warm feeling had been all of those times.

The feeling of a flower blossoming on the inside...It was something far more powerful than my original feelings-but I was terrified.

Terrified of that much emotion.

Anthony never answered my question of why, he just completely skipped over it.

"Can you stay out a little later?"

He was asking me with an arched eyebrow, his lips in a half-smile.

I almost wanted to lie and say no, I needed to think about all of the events that transpired tonight- but at the same time there was something bigger than my emotions.

Anthony's situation was a lot more important. As a friend, I couldn't let all of that mushiness distract me from being there for him when he needed it.

So, I plastered on a wide smile.

"I can definitely stay out."

His expression went from a tense smile to a relieved one almost immediately, and I mentally congratulated myself for making the right decision by agreeing.

"Where are we going?" I questioned, as Anthony made a U-Turn to get back on the main road.

"Where do you want to go?" Was what he responded with.

"Food." Was my reply, of course.

"Food it is." Obviously he knew what I was going to say, because already he was parking at what looked like a restaurant. The large lights reading '24-HR BUFFET' quickly dispelled all thoughts of this being our first date.

An outing between friends, of course.

Then again, this wasn't a fairytale, I had to keep reminding myself of the fact that- This was reality, and a mere kiss couldn't get someone like me out of the friendzone.