05 | Guys

School was hard and frustrating. Like always. Teachers were burdening students with more assignments in spite of the many works and preparations needed to be done for the nearing festival. Well, as Mrs. Miller said, "we can always celebrate the festival annually but these homeworks are not the same every year, thus students should stop complaining and just focus on academics if you wish to pass and go to college."

She had a point. But as Clara grumbled inside her mind, students are humans too. Overwork results to sickness—and sickness results to students unable to do well in school which leads to bad grades—bad grades make students unable to pass thus they can't graduate—thus they can't continue to college which meant that no work. No work means no money—no money, nothing—nothing, you die. In simple terms: overwork equals death.

"How you doing?" Clara asked as soon as she met her friend.

"Do you have to ask?" Ella replied. "I'm freaking on the brink of death."

"I know."

A girl walked towards them and passed Clara a flyer. "This is just one in a million."

Clara smiled, and took the paper. Many were inviting her to join several activities. They were particularly looking forward to a match between her and her famous rival. The two of them have been competing since day one.

"Say hi for me to your brother," Ella said to the girl. "And tell him he needs to do his part of the project or I will ask Mr. Smith to remove him from the group."

The girl smiled. "I'll send the message," she said and jogged away.

Ella rolled her eyes. "I hate group mates like Matt—no-help-no-use-dependent-ass."

Clara chuckled. She knew the feeling. She had been assigned leader a lot of times that she sometimes ended doing the job all by herself since the other members of her group seemed to be depending solely on her and her brain alone. Although kids in Nesterville were geniuses, they were indolent sloths.

She stared past the large and tall columns that looked after the pavilion. Sunlight breezed towards the open hallways, letting in fresh air.

They saw Kent Auden lounging under the shadows of trees with his friends, making fun of a poor freshman who was having difficulties in carrying a mountain of books. A passing teacher noticed it and shouted for Kent's name.

Clara and Ella shook their heads.

Trouble.

That man.

Kent.

Turning to a corner, they came face-to-face with the Four, with Clara almost bumping into them. Unlike the guys' ugly attitudes, their appearance told the opposite. They were handsome which sounded unfair to many. But maybe it was to compensate for their repulsive, loathsome selves.

Clara stumbled back. She glared at the four who didn't bother to move at the way. Her friend had already stepped aside. Of course. Someone should be humble for the sake of peace. The four weren't humble humans.

The brown-haired guy flitted his eyes briefly at her. The Audens, he thought. They were nosy people. Especially Kent. If the guy knew his boundaries, he wouldn't have to—

"I apologize for blocking your precious way," Clara said, bowing. "Your majesties," she whispered almost to herself. But the guy with long blond hair heard it and smirked.

Clara stepped aside like a good servant. Ella sighed, looking at ceiling with lips pressed in a thin line.

The Audens and the Four weren't good acquaintances. Both were the bête noires of each other. But even with their strong hostility to the other party, they try not to start a move that might further trigger and deepen the rage. They don't want a volcano to erupt and cause great devastation. Unlike the other people and their archenemies, the two rarely fights. Because if they fight. It's not just a fight.