chapter 3

The soft tinkling of Camila's music box is soothing. The last tangible piece of her real mother. She had clung to it as a child – so ardently, in fact, that Margaret had confiscated it.

“Your mother is gone, Karla. You’re a Bukater now. If you insist on carrying toys around with you, you won’t have them anymore.

Alex heard her crying into her pillow a few days later, and stole it back for her. Her caring, murderous brother. She’s kept it close since then, only taking it out at night to listen to the song and try to remember her mother’s face.

Now, she needs the extra comfort. Margaret had long forgotten how important it was to her, and she feels safe with it in the open.

 As the little ballerina spins, Camila gazes at her reflection. A loud knock sounds on the door behind her.

“Come in.”

Camila has to fight back a sigh as Caledon strides in, a small box under his arm. He pauses behind her, and she meets his reflected eyes. “I know you’ve been…melancholy, lately. I don’t pretend to know why.” He moves to lean against the vanity, closing the music box carelessly and shifting it out of the way. Camila clenches her fists, fighting back her rising anger.

“I was going to wait until the engagement gala in Philadelphia to give this to you, but…” Caledon opens the box and sets it in front of her. Inside, on a bed of black velvet, is an enormous blue gem on a shining chain, cut into the shape of a heart.

Camila gapes. “Is that…?”

“A rare blue diamond. 56 carats, to be exact. They call it Le Coeur Du La Mer. The – “

“The heart of the ocean.” Camila interrupts. She’s been studying French since she was a child – she doesn’t need him to explain it to her like a simpleton.

Caledon has the gall to look surprised.

“Yes. It’s for royalty. And we are royalty, Karla.”

He leans close, eyes raking over her figure in the mirror. Camila shudders. “You know, there’s nothing I wouldn’t give you. There’s nothing I would deny you. As long as you don’t deny me.”

Fighting back bile, Camila looks away. She thinks of Y/H/C and concerned Y/E/C and strong hands pulling her back from the cliff’s edge.

“I’m tired. I’ll see you in the morning.” Camila picks up her brush and runs it through her hair a few times, refusing to meet his gaze. Caledon’s eyes harden, but he exits, leaving the door open behind him.

Camila opens the music box, and tries not to cry.

I need to see her again.

~

~~~~~~~~~~

When Camila steps out onto the deck the next morning, the sun is shining brightly, and she takes a moment to raise her face towards the rays. It seems like years since she’s felt the sun at all, let alone noticed its warmth. Taking a fortifying breath, she turns and makes her way towards D-deck.

I just want to thank her. Things went so quickly last night, and I didn’t have a chance. That’s all.

Camila almost turns around twice on the way. Nervousness keeps gripping her, making her worry her lip with her teeth.