Chapter 34: Mason's P.O.V

Start from the beginning

A few murmurs and whispers rumbled through the room. No one dared to speak up, no one dared to question Felix. Even when Dad was here, everyone was scared of Felix more than Dad. His whole body and attitude changes as soon as he walks through the door to the warehouse.

I saw Leo turn away and walk out the door. I looked around and then went to follow him, but Felix pulled my arm back and whispered in my ear.

"I need you here. He'll be okay."

I nodded and stood back in my place.

"Felix was the heir, and now Adam has gone, he will take his place." John announced. There were several nods of agreement from the members. I sighed in relief that they were okay with this, and there would be no arguments.

"Things will carry on as normal. Mason and John will be my right hand men, you treat them with the same respect you treat me." Felix carried on.

"Now let's toast, to a new leadership and a fresh start!" Felix punched the air and several loud cheer echoed through the building. We walked down and joined everyone, now laughing and drinking.

However, the only things I could think about was Dad, the piece of paper that Felix gave John, and Leo. Right now, I could only clear my head of one of those things, so I pushed my way onto the roof where I had seen Leo go.

"Leo." I addressed him as I came up the ladder. He was standing on the edge of the roof. I walked slowly up to him and he turned and laughed a little.

 I walked slowly up to him and he turned and laughed a little

"I'm not gonna jump. Don't worry." He crouched down and swung his legs over the edge. I sat down next to him.
"I was just thinking about stuff. I knew Dad needed help, I knew he wasn't right. Felix knew and no doubt you did too."

He looked at me and I nodded slowly, not sure of what to say. He sighed and looked up to the sky. "And now he's gone! We did nothing, and now he's gone."

"Lee-" I started.

"No, don't 'Lee' me. Don't tell me there's nothing we could've done. Don't tell me he wouldn't have accepted help. I know that. I do. I just- I don't know, Mas."

"We'll do it together, yeah. Whatever we gotta do now, we'll do it together. Me, you, Felix, Joseph and Isabella." I told him firmly. He turned to me, his eyes were twinkling with tears and nodded, just a simple nod, but it had so much meaning to it.

Present.
Felix had gone to pick up Isabella not long ago. I just hope he hadn't told her about Dad yet. Whatever happened at school today with the news about Dad added on top will crush her.

The door opened with a squeak and Felix came in with a hand on Isabella's shoulder. Her face was pale and she looked tired. She looked up at me and her eyes were wet and teary.
Felix however, his face was expressionless. But then he looked down at our little sister and his face filled with worry. Just like that. And maybe now, I realised how much family meant to him.

"He's really gone, hasn't he?" Isabelle whispered.

"Only for a while, just for business." I reassured her.

"No, Mason. He's gone. Really gone. Felix told me the truth." She perched on the edge of a chair slowly and paused. "I think I'm going to throw up again."

Her hand clasped her mouth and she ran out of the room, her facing turning as white as a sheet. "I'll go." I told Felix, before running out after her.

———
I had helped Isabella into bed after she threw up again. Felix was currently telling Joseph the truth. I have no idea why he decided to tell them in the end, but to be honest, I'm glad. I don't like keeping secrets from my family.

I sat on my bed with a shoe box in my hand. It wasn't just a shoe box like all the others. It was filled with memories, all my favourite memories.

Right now, it was what I needed, to be reminded of the good times. After reading Isabella's letter, I realised how I needed to pay so much more attention to my family, spend time with them. If I've learnt anything over these past years, losing Mum, Jasmine, Dad and nearly Isabella, it's that life's short and every moment matters, no matter how small.

I heard Joseph shouting, and then Felix and a door slam. He obviously didn't take that well.

Tomorrow's going to be a long day.

~~~

A whole chapter in Mason's P.O.V! It was fun writing in someone else's perspective, seeing what they see and think. What character would you like to see next?

Thank you for reading! Comment and vote!
- K