Part 14: The Race to Go Home

That day everyone was watching and listening. No one wanted to miss a second. If Kirito won, they could finally go home, but if he lost, no one knew what would happen.

Before the race started, the course changed drastically. Only Shift had laid eyes on the track before. Y/N and Akuma couldn't think of a way Kirito could win.

Kayaba, however, studied the course as long as he could before the race started. He passed on all of his findings to Kirito before he went to the stands to be with Y/N and Akuma. When he sat down, Shift decided to make his last announcement.

"I'll have all of you know that facing me won't come free. You see, if you lose, your level will be halved and your exp meter for each level will double from the last time. That means you'd have to work 4x as hard to get back to max level. So anyone else who wants a piece of me can come and face me with Kirito. Don't think you'll win though." He announced.

The entire game went quiet, except for Akuma. "You bastard! Me and Y/N will show you what for!" She blurted out. Y/N was confused and Shift was laughing.

"So be it, if you want to race then race." Shift said right before he snapped his fingers. With that snap, both of them were teleported to the track with their vehicles and weapons.

No one else wanted to join in, and Y/N was still confused about her situation. The race was going to start in 10 seconds and both Shift and Kirito had ear-to-ear smiles. Little did they know Kayaba had a grin as well.

The race started and they were off. Shift sped ahead of the competition with Kirito being the closest behind. Y/N thought that if she could get close enough she could shoot Shift's tires and give Kirito the advantage.

Akuma had different plans, however. She had bought nitro she meant to use back during her first race with Kirito but forgot to use. Once a straight enough path came along she activated it and got right up next to Shift and pulled out a pistol.

She shot directly at his face. There was no way she missed, but it didn't faze him. It was as if he were a hologram, but then he pulled out a sawed-off shotgun. He blew her and her bike to pieces.

That left 3 people left in the race. Then he turned a sharp corner as if it were a daily routine. He shot backward towards Kirito as he was turning and took out Kirito's eyes but didn't take him out of the race. When he was about to fire again Y/N shot from her bike's turret directly at the gun.

The bullets shattered the gun and exploded in Shift's hand. His hand was crippled, but it didn't seem to worsen his skill. Kirito's skill didn't seem to diminish either since he was able to drive with just the map. They were almost done when Kirito finally put all his bike's power to the test.

All that was left was a straight line to the finish. Kirito passed Shift and decided to turn on the Tron effect to his bike. Shift drove straight through the line and around to Kirito's side. Right when he was about to sideswipe Kirito, Y/N fired another shot.

It hit and sent both of them flying off their bikes. She figured that since she could shoot the shotgun while he was attacking, but weapons didn't work when he wasn't attacking, it had to be a pacifistic ability. Her hunch was right that he can only be attacked while attacking. That hunch won her the race.