Part 7: I Don't Want to be the Hero Anymore

"If you had not stopped, I would have let you win! I'm sick of being the hero! I just want to give someone else a chance at this. But, you just stopped for no reason." Those words flew from Kirito's mouth out of rage.

"I don't want to be the hero either. I know I've always dreamed of saving people, but that's just not for me. I'm not even the hero of my own story." Y/N said in a retort.

Akuma walked up behind Y/N and grabbed her by both shoulders, and and rested her chin on one. "What are you too bickering about now? You're acting like a married couple."

"Stay out of this" Y/N whispered to Akuma. "This is about the results of our race." Akuma backed off of Y/N.

"Fine I guess I'll meet you in the crowd, or something." Akuma told them both. Then she left, but as Y/N turned her head she saw Kirito stomp away.

Now walking the track, Kirito has time to think on his own, but Y/N doesn't know what to do. "Should I follow him, or go talk to Akuma?" She asked herself. She knew that if she bothered Kirito now, he would stay mad, but if she went to talk to Akuma, she might get a mouthful of her life story.

Then she finally decided, she'd rather get an earful from Akuma, then a permanent shunning from Kirito. So she made her way to the shrinking crowd. It wasn't until most of the crowd was gone, for when she could find Akuma.

She was waiting for them, while leaning on the stands. Akuma saw that Kirito wasn't with Y/N, so she approached with not as much caution as she would have. "So did'ja break up with your boy crush, or are you guys just taking a break?" She asked Y/N.

Y/N was silent, and didn't want to talk. "Hey, uh after the race, a new area opened up. It's just over their. It's like a tiny town. I think they called it 'Gareji'." Akuma said.

Y/N looked up at her, and said "ya know what, let's go check it out." They made their way over to a part of the station that used to be a wall, but now it was a wide open hole in the wall. The inside looked like a revolutionary american time town, but everything was metallic.

They looked up and saw that the space above them was all sealed off by a window. They could see  galaxies, and they were close enough to see a planet. It looked similar to earth, but the land part was all wrong.

"It kind of looks like a huge, sideways, Japan, if you squint your eyes." Akuma told Y/N. They then both turned towards the main part of the city. There were restaurants , NPCs, and even some houses for sale.

They went towards the closest restaurant they saw to see how the food would taste. When they walked in, they saw that it was a Swedish buffet. They paid some GC and found a table.

They both took a bite, but it just didn't taste right. Y/N said "it tastes good but it's got a digital type of taste if you know what I'm saying." "Yeah I know. It seems like this guy is into a lot of different countries, and time periods, but could he have the time to make any of it right." Akuma said.

They finished and left, and they noticed that others were buying houses, through a catalog. When they got one, they noticed that they were from all over, and you could get any kind you wanted, and the first one is free. They looked through, and Akuma found herself a traditional Japanese home with the mats, furniture, and everything.

Y/N however noticed that there was a category just called 'Gamer'. She looked through and saw that every house from every game up to that point, was in there. Even ones from SAO.

However she decided to stay away from the SAO houses, and went more towards the superhero game's houses. She found one that was covered in ice, another was an underground cave, but then one caught her eye. Just outside of the superhero section, was a house on its own island. It had 2 stories, but wasn't to tall, it looked cozy, and the house had a name written on the outside with paint. So she got it, and that's when Kirito walked up behind her.