Part 12: The Races Are Back On

New years passed by with nothing for anyone to do. The day after, however, an announcement came out that the tracks were safe to ride again. Kirito didn't waste any time getting back on the track.

He creamed the entire competition all day long. The lottery race even chose him again. After seeing how he could race so well non-stop, some players started suspecting that he was Shift Wreckage in disguise, while others thought of him as a gaming god.

Y/N and Akuma almost refused to race. They knew it would be Kirito who would beat Shift and get them out of the game. So they stayed on the sidelines and cheered him on.

In one day, Kirito had won so much that the track changed three times, and five new areas were unlocked. His level skyrocketed to the level cap and his GC was enough to buy a private server. He decided to go to the shop and bought a max stat vehicle with a Tron-like trail effect.

He also searched for a new weapon. He found a laser sword like the one he had in GGO. He bought two of them with the last of his money and equipped them both.

He was done racing. He didn't want to waste any more skill on anyone other than Shift. However, Shift was trying to hatch a plan to get rid of Kirito before their race even started.

Shift knew if he banned him from racing, or changed the level cap, then no one else would be willing to get as far as him. So he decided to set up the track that he normally trains on, they would be fighting on his home turf. He also decided to add a condition to racing him that he would announce at the start of the race.

Shift showed himself to the people through a new area unlock. At first, it looked like a plain white room, but when Kirito stepped in, a constant ripple of green appeared on the floor. When everyone looked to notice the ripple, the door closed.

The room was focused on Kirito, and they didn't realize that Shift was slowly appearing in the background, the same way he did before. It wasn't until Kirito pointed out that he had made an entrance, that people started paying attention.

"So I see Kirito himself, the savior of SAO, the BoB3 co-champion, and the bane of everything evil in VRMMOs, has made his way to my level." Shift said. Kirito asked "So when are we gonna do this? I don't have all day you know."

So Shift looked around. Then he announced, "In three days, both Kirito and I will race on a brand new made from scratch track. Until then, neither of us will be allowed to race."

Kirito, Y/N, and Akuma could see through his lie, but none of them wanted to point it out. "If we can beat him at his own game, then we're better than he is." Y/N said to Kirito.

The doors opened again, but before they all left Shift had one last thing to say. "I will have one more announcement before the race starts. You might want to pay attention, or it will cost you more than you think."

Shift left and immediately went against his rule and started racing on his track. While that was going on, Kirito and the others started thinking about what they were going to be doing for the next three days. As everyone else was on edge while waiting for the race that will decide if they will go home.