A Shattered Dove Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Haitlin?" I heard Olivia's soft voice float through the door. 

I had to take in a deep relieving breath before I could answer her. No need throwing out my plan by bulling a five year old.

"Yes?" I replied as calmly as possible.

"Haitlin, can we talk?" Olivia asked. 

I had no idea what she wanted to talk about, but it would buy me more time to sketch out my plan.

"Sure, just hold on a minute. I'll met you in your bedroom."

I looked down at my hand, remembering I had thrown my ring, and rushed to find it. Olivia couldn't see me without my ring or she would question me about where it went. Right now, I would prefer to avoid so much conflict from her.

Yet, my ring did not want to show itself. I looked in the sink, shower and even the toilet. Desperate, I resorted to crawling on my hands and knees on the cold bathroom floor. I searched inch by inch for the stupid ring, but with no prevail. Just when I was ready to give up, I saw something shining from the side of my eye. 

In the corner, next to the door, laid my ring. I scurried over to it and picked it up with relief. I may have dropped my act but that didn't mean I had to drop all my tactics. The ring would keep him from having an outburst  and with what I had planned, I needed it.

Knowing I had kept Olivia waiting for too long, I quickly opened the door and rushed across the hall. Before I entered her room I saw a light under the fourth door flicker on. I was so tempted to peek, but last time that didn't end up well. Instead, I put my curiosity away and walked into Olivia's room.

She sat in the middle of her bed, twiddling her thumbs. I quietly closed the door behind me so we wouldn't be disturbed by her father. Then I walked over to her bed and perched on the edge, ready to leave at a moments notice.

"What did you want to talk about honey?" I asked her once I settled.

She looked into my eyes with her own, but confusion clouded them.

"Do you want to marry daddy?" she whispered, looking down again.

Well she sure knows how to get to the point. I paused before I answered, choosing my words carefully.

"No. I didn't even accept the ring or say yes. I'm sorry Olivia but, no, I don't want to marry your father."

I knew I should have dulled that blow, but with my act shed I would be ruthless. I wasn't going to miss my opportunity to leave just because I didn't want to hurt someone's feelings.

Olivia looked straight at me with eyes identical to Francis's. The confusion only grew, sweltering high.

"Do you love him?" Olivia asked, barely audible.

The question caught me off guard, and made me froze. Of course I knew the answer, but explaining it would be challenging.

"Honestly, no."

Her eyes sweltered with tears, threatening to spill over. I knew I had to do damage control before she went off blabbering to Francis. 

"It is just... I miss my family. I miss my own mom, dad, and brother. I can't love anyone else while my heart is still yearning for my family," I concluded.

Her little hands wiped away the tears, and she stared at me once more. 

"Why can't you go visit them?" she asked.

She had brought up a good point. If she still thinks I am her dad's friend, then how do I explain why I am not allowed to talk to my family? Do I lie or do I tell the truth?