Heartbreak comes in many forms

Start from the beginning

"Is this why you faked being sick last night? So Josh could sneak over?" She asked. Maya wasn't surprised that Riley knew she had been faking, she wasn't the best actress.

"Yeah, but he never showed. I guess he had more important things." Maya told her. Riley took a deep breath.

"You should talk to him about this, there has to be some kind of explanation." Riley told her. Maya shook her head.

"Look he'll be here soon and I dont want the family to think that there is anything wrong. We'll have the talk when we have to, but right now lets just enjoy being home." Maya told her. Riley seemed hesitant but eventually smiled and gave in.

"You coming in Farkle?" Riley asked as Maya headed into the apartment. Farkle looked to make sure that Maya was inside before he looked back at Riley.

"How long until Josh get's here?" He asked. Riley narrowed her eyebrows.

"Not sure. An hour maybe?" She said. Farkle thought for a moment before nodding his head.

"Yeah, I'll stick around." He told her before passing her into the apartment causing confusion to Riley before she closed the apartment door.

Things seemed to be okay as the three pretended around their family that everything was okay. Riley was going on about how she wanted everything to be perfect for when Lucas arrived as it was his first Christmas with the family that year. Farkle stayed close with Maya through out the night. Not leaving her side to even grab a drink. They talked quietly with each other and Farkle seemed to be more on edge. The woman of course noticed this, but the men stayed oblivious as usual.

Finally, as dinner was being served Josh walked through the door in his leather jacket and boots that had become his signature look as of late. Maya felt a sting in her heart as she noted how good he looked.

"Hey family! Sorry I'm a little late, I ended up having to run some errands with a friend." He said casually as he slipped off his jacket and him and Auggie did there usual routine. Maya noted that the greeting was becoming less enthusiastic as Auggie was getting older. Something that Josh had mentioned in one of their many late night talks after curfew. Maya felt another sting in her heart as she thought back to the memories.

"No apologies necessary for you Josh." Topanga smiled at him. "In fact, you're just in time!" She exclaimed as she motioned to the spread that was on the table. Josh smiled as he greeted everyone and frowned as Farkle kept his stare blank around him.

He noticed how Riley's smile was forced and tense, how Maya didnt do their usual banter that they put around his family, or even how she didnt even look at him. He gave Farkle a questioning look though dinner, who gave him a nasty look for a split second and then putting a smile back on his face as he started a conversation with Topanga. Josh didnt understand why the three were acting so strange towards him, something he would have to ask Maya about later he supposed.

Once dinner was over Maya looked up and smiled at Topanga and the rest of their family as she cleared her throat and stood up.

"That was great dinner, Mrs. Matthews. I'll be right back." She said heading over to Maya's room. Josh smiled as he took this as her sign to meet up. Planning on waiting a full minute before he actually excused himself.

"Riley, is everything okay with Maya? She's been acting kind of strange since you two got home." Topanga said.

"Oh um, she wasn't feeling well yesterday or this morning. She probably just doesnt want to worry anyone." Riley answered as she side glanced Josh before putting her head back down. Josh narrowed his eyebrows as if to say ' that was not discreet'. It seemed that Maya had told Riley about them.

"I'll go check on her." Farkle's voice spoke up as he got up from the table and started down the hallway towards Riley's room. Josh narrowed his eyebrows in suspicion. Something was wrong, and this time he wasn't waiting to excuse himself.

"I'm going to use the bathroom." Josh excused himself as he to got up from the table not missing the nervous glance that Riley gave him.

Josh walked up to the door and knocked, waiting for someone to open up. A second later he was met with Farkle's angry face. This set Josh back a little, he hadn't seen Farkle this way before.

"She doesnt want to see you at the moment." He told Josh as he came out and shut the door behind him. Josh narrowed his eyebrows together.

"What are you talking about?" He asked. " Move." He demanded. Farkle stood his ground. Josh closed his eyes in a way to control his temper. "Look Farkle, I've never had a problem with you before. But-"

"Yeah well I have one with you." Farkle interrupted causing shock to overflow in Josh. Josh and Farkle were both the same exact height, so they were looking directly into each others eyes. "I saw you this morning with Adrianna. You two looked really cozy together, I knew it wasn't something that I could keep from Maya." Farkle said. Josh's face turned into a glare as he pointed at Farkle.

"You have no idea what you're talking about." He told him in a low voice. Farkle scoffed.

"I know more than you think. And I refuse to let Maya get caught up in it." Farkle told him. "I cant believe you would do this." He told Josh with pure disgust in his eyes.

"Farkle, you are playing with something that you dont understand. Besides it's not your business-"

"Maya is my business!" Farkle quietly snapped causing Josh's temper to flare. But he didnt lose control, not yet. "Dont misunderstand me, I can get dangerous when I want to. When you mess with the people I love and care about, you unleash a side of me that I promise, you'll be sorry about. She'll talk to you when she's ready." Farkle didnt wait for a reply. He opened the door and went back inside to Maya, shutting the door in Josh's face.

Josh bit his lip and turned around to be met with the furious gaze of Lucas and the worried expression of Riley's. Great. It was clear that they knew as well.  Josh thought with a bitter chuckle.

"Excuse us." Lucas snapped before he and Riley passed Josh with Lucas purposely bumping into his shoulder before they disappeared inside the room as well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________