ONE

I'm a slave to my emotions

JENNIE

Selfish, egoistic idiot.

That was all she could think about when he wasn't there.

Their few years in college together were nice, even better than what jennie expected. They graduated together, and planned to spend their lives together.

But then the dream turned into a nightmare.

He was barely home anymore, if she could even call what they had a 'home'. He spent his days at work, which Jennie couldn't blame him for, but it didn't make it any less annoying for her. He wasn't even prioritizing work over her, he had totally forgotten she existed too, and if there was barely the shadow of a flame before, it had totally extinguished now, and she was left alone with a hole inside her chest.

She had never felt so lonely.

Today wasn't any different, and she sighed as she noticed it was already past ten in the evening, and he still wasn't there.

A little voice inside her head kept telling her that it wasn't normal, his work couldn't possibly take that much time, he was probably doing something else behind her back. But she ignored it, she ignored the way her heart clenched just by thinking about it, and she kept on staring at the clock in front of her, her glass of wine in hand, and the now empty bottles on the counter next to her.

The minutes were agonizingly slow.

He must've forgotten about her, he probably stayed at work too late and reserved an hotel for the night, forgetting to text or call her.

She glanced at her phone next to her, should she call him?

No, he won't answer anyway, or even if he did he'll just discard her. It was best not to bother him.

Maybe Jennie should go to bed, but she couldn't find the strength to move from her sit, and she still had a tiny hope that he would come soon and be a normal boyfriend, greet her with a smile, and talk about their upcoming wedding with her.

-The wedding...

Oh god, how will they even do that?

She wasn't aware a year ago when she accepted his proposal that any form of communication would have completely died down, and that she would be left alone with all of the preparations and the anxiety that came with it. Now that the date was getting dangerously close, she started to wonder if it was a good idea to do marry him at all, maybe he had even forgotten if she was lucky enough.

But no, she needed it. She needed the stability, and the reassurance of being bond to him.

Maybe it was just a difficult phase of their relationship, but it would surely get better soon. He was tired, he worked hard to finally have his promotion, but soon enough, Jennie was convinced she would get her boyfriend- future husband- back. The thought made her smile again. It was going to get better soon.

The clock stroke midnight, and barely a second later, she heard a soft knock on the door.

She got up happily, her smile never leaving her face, getting ready to greet him warmly.