PROLOGUE

After every crazy high, there's a price you have to pay

JENNIE

Jennie had everyone at her feet. For as long as she could remember, people were always drooling over her. Girls wanted to be her, guys wanted to date her. She was used to all the attention, used to being the center. She liked it sometimes, it was nice to feel appreciated and accepted by almost everyone.

But it wasn't easy everyday.

Sure, being popular had its perks, but outside of all the superficial stuff, she was suffering. Badly suffering.

She knew people had high expectations for her. Don't look bad, always smile, be polite, be smart, but not too smart because people don't like nerds, be interesting but don't talk too much, be nice but don't let people approach you too close. Don't be rude. Don't do this, and don't do that.

As the time went by, Jennie felt her real self slipping out of her, and soon enough, her cold and sometimes bitchy aura took over. Soon enough, she started not to feel anything anymore, because it was what people wanted of her. Or maybe, just maybe because it was easier that way.

But being the most popular girl in high school then college at least meant that she got to date the most popular boy. He wasn't horrible, in all honesty. He was nice enough, cute enough, smart enough. She appreciated him, she really did.

Did she love him? Well, no. But screw her emotions, and screw her feelings. Dating him, spending her life with him would be the best thing for her, she knew that. At least, with him, she would have a stable life.

Maybe after some time she could actually fall in love. She was willing to try.

Maybe, at last, she would be able to find happiness with him.

Maybe.