Chapter 35: So Many Unread Messages

Start from the beginning

Wowzers. I really wish I had a teenage daughter right now! He's such a sweetheart who deserves the best. This is how men should treat women, how he admires her is adorable and admirable in itself. I literally want to cry. I hope Axel will grow up to be similar to Arthur. "Arthur, that's the nicest thing I've ever heard. Just eliminate the swearing, kind of unattractive." I whisper the second part. "She doesn't sound like the type of girl to curse."

I'm only fibbing about the unattractive part. I love it when Jason curses, god it's so rough, and honest. Mmh that man drives me mad. "Oh no, was it too much? Sometimes I go a little overboard." Brown eyes become saucers, he's freaking out.

"No! It was perfect. So how long have you been dating?" He grabs the back of his neck and laughs. Shaking his head frantically, I'm left confused. "What?"

"Are you nuts?! Dating?! She can't even remember who I am half the time. Only when she needs my homework, that's why I'm here now actually. She copies my homework, and I'm okay with that, because I get to watch her elegance." Oh hell no. Fuck that. This young man does not deserve to be used. No one deserves to be used.

"Are you nuts?!" I ask mimicking him with his preferred question. "You're willing letting her use you? That's bullshit!"

"No cursing remember? That's unattractive." He mocks me.

"I'm a fucking adult. I can curse anytime I damn well please. Now, seriously Arthur, you are worth so much more than this. I know I don't know you, but you are friendly, smart, cute, don't let a girl walk all over you. There are tons of pretty girls out there."

"Friendly, smart that's something I've never heard before." He says with strict sarcasm. "Cute? Are you hitting on me Ms. Jones? I think that's illegal, but I'll let it slide...this time." I roll my eyes at him, that's not what I meant. "I'm tired of those adjectives. I want to be mysterious, different, alluring, you know?"

That makes me laugh. He crinkles his nose and raises an eyebrow. "Are you a girl? Of course I know what you mean, because that's exactly what every girl wants to be, how they want to feel about themselves. Listen, don't change for another person, ever. Change for yourself. Don't be someone else's image, because a great girl out there, could be looking just for you."

He swallows my words and digests them, hopefully he won't just shit them out. I hope he absorbs the nutrients and uses them for the better. "Maybe you're right. I don't want to give up video games, reading, that sort of thing. I can always acquire new hobbies, but I want to be me." There we go! I smile wide. I've gotten through to him! "So...why are you here...by yourself?"

I thought we could just avoid this conversation. I hate talking about my problems, that's why I keep everything to myself. To let everything be released into the world is detrimental. No one keeps secrets, they rip yours to shreds, using them against you. "Just hungry, you know?" I look to the side to avoid eye contact.

He laughs this time. "Are you a boy? Of course I know what you mean, because that's exactly how every boy feels." I throw my head back and laugh. This kid is something else.

"Well, Arthur, I'm glad we could be relatable. This was fun, I should probably let you alone now, after all my pestering questions." I go to scoot my chair away from the table when he speaks up.

"Wait, I know I'm just a kid or whatever, but sometimes youthful advice can be useful advice." He wouldn't know anything about how to terminate the opportunity of Axel living with his dad.

He doesn't know about Jason thinking I've cheated on him, or how to prove him wrong. I hope he doesn't know what it feels like to be betrayed.

"That's sweet, but my problems swim deeper than just a pool. They swim in the fucking ocean, and unless your Neptune, I don't think you or anyone else can help."