Chapter 5: Just Go to Sleep

The ambulance show up with the police. We exchange insurances and square everything. Thankfully no one is badly injured, which is surprising. A towing company discards our vehicles. Axel and I climb into the ambulance. The interstate was backed up, but is now smoothly flowing.

While being transported to the hospital, Axel fell asleep on my lap. Fingernails tiptoe through his hair. Closing my eyes, I think of what would have happened, if I didn't make him sit in his booster seat in the back.

If I ever lost Axel, I would have lost myself. No way could I have pulled myself out of that. I never want to think about Axel leaving me for good. Maybe Douglas and mother were watching over us. Nah, selfish bastards would probably want me dead.

Axel is mine, and I want him with me. I couldn't handle being left alone, with nothing to look forward to after work. No more complaining about the Legos scattered on the floor. I wouldn't have those beautiful paintings to hang on the fridge anymore. The most horrendous thought crosses my mind. Would his dad even care? How would I get ahold of him?

Axel turns and I open my eyes. An unopened message flashes on my phone. Jason.

727-823-5479: John is now at the hospital. He will be waiting for your arrival in a black Mercedes E-class Sedan. The windows are tinted.

I read the text message quickly. Before answering, I save the number in my phone under his name.

Me: Okay, thank you so much Jason.

Once we arrived on the premises, I spot the Mercedes. Compared to the other cars, it was out of place. No one had a car quite like it here. The ambulance parks in front of the hospital.

Quick and easy. They look us over and made sure we were safe before leaving. Axel has a few minor cuts on his face and arms. My back isn't as bad as I thought. We are just shaken up from the accident.

I grab Axel's hand and find the Mercedes still parked where I last saw it. While walking towards it, a tall man gets out of the driver's side. In the guise of a proper suit and dress shoes.

Once we approach, he removes his hat and greets us. "Ms. Jones, I will be your driver, John. Please get in and I will take you to Mr. Foreman safely." A grin displays lightly yellowed teeth. 

Up close, he looks younger than I thought. His gray hair gelled back, not one strand out of place. The smell of cigars and vanilla fill the air around us. Blue eyes are set firmly on Axel and I.

"I'm sorry? Back to Jason?", tone concerned. I originally thought we would go home. That is a far drive and it is late. I didn't expect to go to Jason's, maybe a hotel, but Jason's?

"Why yes, I only follow the orders Mr. Foreman provides Ms. Jones. I am to relocate you to the penthouse he is currently staying at." I'm shocked. I honestly thought we were going home. Axel is ready for bed and that's what he needs right now. I'm not the type to just rely on anyone but myself. That is exactly what this feels like. I'm relying on Jason too much. Oh god.

"Is this really necessary?", quickly asked

"Yes, Ms. Jones, it will be easier if you just abide by the instructions and come along."

"Please, call me Sydney. Okay but only because my son is deadly tired."

The door still wide open, I guide Axel to get in first, following right behind him. John closes the door right after. I scope out the interior. John places on his hat, then enters the driver's side.

Coffee leather seats match the dark cherry wood that's displayed on the doors. A window connects from the cab to the front of the car. Down for the time being. Pungent smells of Black Ice and new car replaces the cigars and vanilla.