Mary

Damon's POV

I make it to the clock tower with a couple of minutes to spare. Klaus is already here, waiting for me.
"How is she?" Klaus asks, without any formal greeting.
"She's fine. Why wouldn't she be?" I tell him, annoyed by his question and him in general.
"I know you may find this hard to believe, Damon, but I care a lot about Kayla. Not just because she is my niece, but because I have known her her whole life. She is a good girl, granted - she used to be a lot less troublesome - but she is good, nether the less."

I want to say something back, a funny remark or something, but as much as it irks me, he seems to be telling the truth. I nod to let him know I heard what he said.

An awkward silence befalls us until I break it.
"Well? What did you want, Klaus? I don't want to be here any longer than I have to!" I tell him.
"Do you really think I liked finding out you are Kayla's father? Having to interact with you like this? Because I couldn't think of anything worse if truth be told." He replies.
"The feeling is mutual..." I return. "Just tell me what it is you have brought me here for so I can leave."

Klaus takes a couple of seconds, seemingly gathering his thoughts before he starts to speak.
"Mary, Kayla's maternal grandmother, is a very powerful witch." He starts to tell me. "She disowned Siobhan as soon as she found out she wouldn't terminate her pregnancy when carrying Kayla. She cast her out of her covern and told her not to return unless her baby is no more."

I sit down on the bench, underneath the clock tower, listening to him and not saying a word. He continues.
"Mary believed that Kayla was an abomination, that she should've been destroyed before her life even began as she would tip the balance of nature, being a vampire/witch hybrid."
"Klaus," I interupt him now, "fast-forward 14 years and tell me why it's so important for her to not have anything to do with Kayla now?"

Klaus shakes his head.
"Have you not heard a word I have said?" He asks me. "Mary wants Michaela dead, even more so now she knows Siobhan is no longer here to protect her. Siobhan kept Kayla under a cloaking spell her entire life, knowing that Mary would destroy her the first chance she got. With training, Kayla would be a force to be reckoned with. A vampire with the abilities of a witch, it is not anything that has been known before, and that is something Mary does not want. Especially knowing she came from her bloodline."

I think for a moment. A huge shudder runs through my body at the thought of anything happening to Kayla.
"So let's just kill Mary. Simple." I tell him, shrugging my shoulders, wondering why she isn't already dead.
"It's not as easy as that, Damon. I have tried but I can't get close enough to her as she belongs to massive covern who would risk their lives to protect her. You need to get your little witch to put another cloaking spell on her, and whatever you do, always keep a close eye on her. Never let her out of your sight. If anything was to ever happen to her on your watch, I will kill you!" Klaus ends with a threat.

I will try my best to keeps tabs on her, but this is Kayla we're talking about. She's a sneaky little thing.
"Easier said than done, Klaus!" I exclaim.
"If you're not up for the task, Damon, I shall be forced to make her live with me. I will do all in my power to keep her safe, even if it means keeping her under lock and key!" He says.
"That won't be necessary! Catch you around," are my parting words. I rush back to the boarding house to fill Stefan in on what Klaus said.

Kayla's POV

I wake up feeling like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. Why can't my life ever be easy. Straight forward. Why does it always have to be full of mystery and surprises? I groan out loud, reaching for my phone to check the time. It's 11,35am.

"Holy cow!" I exclaim out loud. "How on earth did I sleep so late?" I kick the covers off of me before jumping out of bed. After getting showered and dressed as quick as I possibly could, I make my way downstairs.