Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Look, Maxim, the short version is that I ran a complex algorithm to determine the best way to overthrow The Shadow. It produced the names of nine random people who, on their own, do not possess anything exceptional or unique about them. By themselves, they are all just ordinary and average people, but when they're together, they are something much greater than the sum of their parts. Each of them offers a certain quality that when combined with the skills and talents of the group, create a perfect storm, an undeniable force that is capable of achieving seemingly impossible feats.

"Among the group is the right combination of tenacity, strength, aptitude, determination, defiance for authority, and so on to take down The Shadow. My job was then to assemble them together and set a plan in motion for that outcome to occur. Now that I see my plan is coming together and that you are here, I need to give you an important piece of the puzzle that will help you in your journey."

"Wait, wait, wait," Maxim said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "This is all a lot to process right now. You're saying that me being here talking to you is part of a complex algorithm. How is that even possible? Do we not have free will? Can you predict the future?"

"No, it doesn't work like that. I'm using sophisticated machine learning software to run a predictive analysis. I can predict the future with a high degree of accuracy based on how you behaved in the past. If, for instance, I know you wake up at 7:00 every morning in the past, I can predict with reasonable accuracy that you'll wake up tomorrow at 7:00 a.m."

"Okay, I understand," Maxim said.

"Based on a number of digital impressions you've made over the years, I've learned a lot about your choices and habits. I know what you're interested in, what you're not interested in, what kind of content you consume and how often, the kinds of people you like, the women you tend to connect with, what values and beliefs you hold, and so on. I know that you like a challenge and will stop at nothing until you see it through. I also know that if you are in a room with certain personality types, your behaviour will change to be more assertive... with a 90% probability that is."

"That's incredible. The rumours are true, you're some kind of super genius."

"I assure you, my accomplishments have been grossly exaggerated. For whatever reason, I seem to get a lot of undue credit, and criticism. My partner deserves far more credit than me. I was just the public face while he was the genius behind the scenes."

Maxim knew exactly who he was referring to. What ever happened to your partner?"

Just then, Ethan pulled up his sleeve to reveal some kind of port on the inside of his forearm.

"What the heck is that?" Maxim asked.

"It's a port."

"I see that," Maxim said. "What's it doing on your arm?"

"With this port, I can download any digital data into my brain. Before my partner went M.I.A., he created a digital representation of himself with the intent of embedding it into the mind of a robot. His hope was to preserve himself and, in a way, live forever.

"When the bombings began, I grabbed the file and held onto it for safe keeping. Once I created this port, I could download him into my brain. I can see his memories as if they are my own, I know what he thinks about at night, how he thinks, but most importantly, I have all his knowledge as well."

"That's incredible," Maxim said. "I've never seen anything like that."

"That's because it's one of a kind."

"How does it work?"

"I converted my chip so that it takes data comprised of ones and zeros and converts it into a pattern of waves that my brain can understand."

"Are there any side effects?"

"Aside from occasional headaches and nose bleeds, there are none."

"Headaches and nosebleeds, that doesn't sound good. I hope there are no-long term effects."

"Me neither," Ethan said. "This is experimental and new so there isn't any research done on the long-term effects. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has this. I'm patient zero."

"What do you think causes the headaches and nose bleeds?" Maxim asked.

"My guess is that my brain has a limited capacity of storing data. Whenever I overdo it and attempt to download too much information at once, that's when the headaches and nosebleeds come."

"So I guess that makes you the smartest person in the world then?"

"I guess so, but knowledge is only one form of intelligence. If we're strictly measuring that, then I have an abundance. When it comes to wisdom, I still have a lot to learn. I'm limited to my physiology as well. If my brain is slow at processing information, unable to make higher-level connections, perform pattern recognition, or think creatively, then what good is all this knowledge?"

"So, your capacity is a product of how well your brain stores and processes information?"

"Precisely."

"So theoretically, someone with a brain that processes information much more efficiently, or has a higher capacity could download a far greater amount of information?"

"Someone like that hasn't been born yet. While humans have different capacities, we all have physiological limitations. As do machines. There's a limit to how much data can be stored in one place. However, I'm working on ways to increase my capacity."

"How so?"

"By storing information in DNA."

"In DNA?" Maxim repeated.

"A lot of information can be stored in a tiny strand of DNA. The world is bleeding data. We produce hundreds of zettabytes of it every year. There is so much rich information that can be mined from that data, but big data farms are not only expensive, they're also not portable. Some smart people decided to store information in DNA, which could be stored, transported, and secured with much more flexibility and discretion. To put it into perspective, all the digital information that has ever existed including every movie, song, photo, and file, etc... all of it could fit inside a container the size of a pint of beer. But of course, no human alive can handle that much information without going crazy."

"In theory."

"Right, in theory."

"One last question... how do I get one of those ports?"

 how do I get one of those ports?"