Chapter Twenty-Three

After some time, Lauren had calmed down and was ready to open up about what had went down in the woods with her and Blane.

"He was a spy," Lauren began, still unnerved about the whole situation. "I didn't trust him from the beginning. Train and Mr. Camo can attest to that. I'm pretty good with faces and I knew he wasn't on the bus with us. He lied about that. He also lied about his name. His real name was... I'm sorry, I can't remember... but it wasn't Blane.

Lauren began sobbing as she began recounting the story. She had been through a lot and her emotions had been put through a ringer. She buried her face in the palms of her hands. Several people close to her put their arms around her and told her everything would be okay.

Since the war, many people had become desensitized to death and violence. Nobody held Lauren accountable for what had happened, in fact, she was heralded as a hero for picking up what everyone else had missed. It was unfortunate they could no longer question Blane about his agenda and how he was able to find them. The whole ordeal made several people in the group become paranoid and begin to question each other. Perhaps there were more imposters amongst them. Since everyone was in on the plan to overthrow The Shadow, that information could be used against them if it were to fall into the wrong hands.

Mauricio had been gone for a couple of hours while everyone mingled around camp. When he returned, he was completely unaware of the situation.

"Guys, I found something that I think you all should see," he said. He quickly took notice of the temperature of the group and saw Lauren crying among a crowd of sombre faces. He made the logical conclusion that something serious had transpired while he was away. "What did I miss?"

Everyone was still a little shaken up, but Mauricio's discovery captured their attention.

"Who here remembers Unity World?" Mauricio asked.

A handful of people seemed to know what he was talking about.

"I just found one a couple kilometres from here. If we leave now, we can make it before sun down. It may have supplies, but at the very least it'll provide us shelter. It looks as though it may rain again tonight."

"Maybe that's where Dane and Allie are," Cheryl said.

"Does anyone object to relocating to the abandoned theme park?" Train asked.

"I also found a creek. We can follow it the whole way," Mauricio said.

The theme park provided more suitable living standards than their current conditions, especially consider the battery pack on Mr. Camouflage's assisted walking device was running dangerously low. Several people weren't keen on having to hike, but they were willing to forgo the discomfort and endure the pain for water and shelter.

With no other competing options, the agreement was unanimous. They all made a decision to head East to the theme park.

 They all made a decision to head East to the theme park