Chapter Seven

The single-file line kept moving forward, meandering through the forest, and only stopping when necessary. To pass the time, they carried on conversations, sometimes as a group, but mostly with the person who was directly in front or behind them.

"I need water," Cheryl said.

"Dane!" Train called out from the back. "Hold up, man."

They had been walking for the better part of the morning with no food or water. Some of them, mostly the older folks, were wearing down pretty quickly.

Cheryl found a spot on the ground where she could rest, but didn't look as though she had much left in her to continue for the rest of the day. The out-of-shape, middle-aged woman was covered in sweat and looked famished. The true psychology of a woman who had grown accustomed to a life of comfort, leisure, and being in charge of others was showing serious signs of cracking. She wasn't cut out for this lifestyle, in fact, very few of them were. They had grown soft.

The only person in the group with any actual disability was Mr. Camouflage, and yet he was ready to continue for as long as his equipment could handle. Nevertheless, he understood the suitable nuances of social dynamics and showed her empathy.

Crouching beside her, he asked, "How's the knee holding up?"

"I think I tweaked it a while back," Cheryl said. "I thought I could power through it, but that was a mistake. In my younger years maybe I could have continued, but my body just isn't what it used to be."

"I know that all too well," he said with sincerity. "Do you think you'll be able to go on?"

"I can try resting for a bit and see how I feel, but I don't want to push it and end up doing more damage, you know? Especially out here."

"I understand. I'll tell you what, let me talk to the rest of the group about stopping and setting up camp. I'll see what everyone thinks. How does that sound?"

"That would be great. Thank you, Mr. Camouflage."

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure you're not the only one who needs a rest."

"That actually makes me feel a lot better. Thank you."

"Hang tight. I'll find some volunteers to look for food and water."

"You're so nice," Cheryl said. "I really appreciate you being so kind to me."

"Don't mention it. We're a team, right? We have each other's backs."

"I don't want to be completely useless," Cheryl said. "If there's anything I can do around camp, please let me know."

"Sure thing," Mr. Camouflage said with a warm smile. Just before, returning to his feet, he said, "It may not be the life we're used to, but considering what our fate was just a day ago, each day we're alive is a bonus."

Mr. Camouflage quietly went around and got a sense of how everyone was feeling. After speaking privately with each person, he rallied the team together. A huddled group of dirty and exhausted looking faces gathered in a small circle. He wasn't used to being a leader, and lacked many of the qualities of one. Nevertheless, leaders are not decided by the individual, they are chosen by those who choose to follow them. For whatever reason, the team rallied behind Mr. Camouflage.

"Okay everyone," he began with his soft spoken voice. "I know we're all tired, hungry, and uncomfortable. I think it's best we don't overexert ourselves on the first day. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Just because we're stopping, it doesn't mean we can relax for the rest of the day. I don't need to remind any of you that we're in a dire survival situation. There's still plenty of work to do, including setting up shelter and securing food and water. With that being said, we're going to need some volunteers. Those of you who are willing and able to continue, may I ask you step forward and offer yourselves to the group."

Dane stepped forward along with Train, Lauren, and Allie. The Professor said that he was more than happy to gather wood for a fire.

"That's great," Mr. Camouflage said. "Dane, you and Train are in charge of food. Look for edible berries, plants, and bugs. Don't waste your energy with birds and rodents. As a precaution, stay away from mushrooms.

"Lauren and Allie, can you look for a creek or a pool of water? If you can, try to find something like some large leaves to gather it so that you can bring it back to camp."

"Okay," they both said in unison.

"Thanks everyone. Don't wander off too far and stay together. We'll meet back here in one hour. I'd advise you to set trail markers as often as you can. It's really easy to get lost in the woods. For the rest of you staying at camp, come see me if you are unsure what to do."