Chapter 12. But . . .

Hi guys

Ugh I hate school

And periods.

And yeah.

"Some, if not all, are just slowly fading into darkness. And for many of them, it's too late."

"Um, you want to slow down there?" Tate asked as I shoved another fry into my mouth.

"Diamas . . brluteja," I mumble while swallow everything down.

"Let's try speaking English, now what was that?" He asked with a grin. I rolled my eyes, taking a deep breath after that all went down.

"I said, UM NO, I don't want to slow down. This food is better than . . .better than . . better than life," I moaned.

He chuckled before sipping on the milkshake.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked. I nodded.

"Tate, M'boy! I haven't seen you since you was, yay-big!" Someone's large voice boomed from behind me. Startled, I jumped in my seat, and bumped my head on the wall. Tate laughed.

I looked behind me, to see a large guy who looked like a big teddy bear. He was huge, in both weight and height.

"Oh! And who's this little lady?" The guy asked with a grin. He had no hair, and a small scruff. His gentle green eyes crinkled in gentleness.

"This is my friend, Elle," Tate said, nodding towards me.

For some reason unknown, I felt like a professional boxer just suckerpunched my heart. My good mood had sunk, all my happiness flying out the window just like my grades this semester. Why did that upset me? I didn't have time to think about it.

"Hi," I said with a smile.

"Heller. Name's Hankus Benjamin. But e'ryone calls m' Hank," He said with a proud smile, wiping his hands on his tattered apron.

I chuckled. He seemed super friendly.

"So, is this a date?" Hank asked with an eyebrow wiggle. Anxious to see what he'd say, I turned to face Tate, who had paid no mind to me, but instead winked to Hank. I scowled and then frowned. What did that mean?

Wink as in "EW GROSS NO WAY, SHE'S SUCH AN UGLY PUKING WEIRDO AND WE'RE JUST ACTING PARTNERS FOR SCHOOL AND EWWW RAUNCHY!"

Or, wink as in, "Yeah bruh, we on a date,"

How do I figure it out!?

"Ya'll need a check?" Hank asked, his deep voice rumbling.

"Yes please. Thank you Hank," Tate said with a strange politeness. It was clear the two were fond of each other. Which was strange because I didn't think Tate was fond of anyone except for maybe Tilly and Justin.

Was he fond of me? My inner voice decided to pop in here and annoy me.

I quickly shook it away.

"Gotcha," He said with a thumbs up before leaving.

"He seems cool," I said as he dissapeared behind a door.

"Oh he's cool. Basically like a dad to me," Tate mumbled as he pulled out his wallet. Oh God. Wallets. Usually me and Jason would split the bill. Or I'd pay for movie tickets, and he'd get snacks. I mean, that was normal right? What else should I do? I should pay for it. I mean, he did drive me and all.

"I'll pay!" I say fiercely as pull out a crinkly 20 dollar bill from my back pocket.

Tate's eyes find mine and he looks at me like I've grown a second head.

"Tell me Princess Puke, you stupid or something?" He asked with narrowed eyes. Shocked, I take an intake of breath.

"Uh, what?" I asked dumbly. He placed his elbows on the table, staring at me. I shrink back at his powerful gaze.

"Don't ya know that guys pay?" He asked with a brow raise.

"Well . . I mean, with Jason it was usually like half and half or 60-40, or-"

"Yeah well you're with me. Kay?" He asked with a hardened jaw. I gulped and nodded.

"But I'll feel bad," I pout.

"Sucks to suck Princess Pout," He said with a smirk. I scowl at him.

"Really?" I whine.

"Really, really."

-

After we get into the car, we decide to make up nicknames for each other as he takes me to our next destination.

"Princess Piss!" He growls.

"Babbling Boastful Badboy!" I hiss.

"Princess-"

"Yeah well I'm royalty, so go suck a cactus!" I reply with a victorious grin.

"I'm the badboy, and ya know what they say about that?"

"Hm?"

"All girls fall for the badboy," He replied, looking over at me as he turned the wheel. He wiggled his eyebrows up and down, making me laugh.

"You know what they also say about princesses?"

"Hm?"

"They have the power to have people beheaded," I say with a dangerous smirk.

"That's not creepy," He said with sarcasm.

"Psh, maybe you're just girly," I said with a shrug.

"Excuse me, I am not girly!" He hisses venemously with a scowl.

"Yeahhh, okay, well whatever tickles your peach," I retorted with a nonchalant shrug.

I notice the car coming to a stop, so I peer out of the window.

All I can see are trees and a wheat field about knee high. My heart races as I begin to think of Children of the Corn. Oh my God, what if there are children of the wheat?

"And, we're here," He said with excitement. He quickly opened his door, and made his way to the back of the car. I heard the trunk open and close. I shivered as the cold and lonely air brushed my hair back behind me. Tate soon walked back to the front door, leaning down to get to my level.

"You coming?" He asked with confused eyes

"Uh," I hesitate before opening the door.

"Oh what, do you think I'm going to kidnap you and bury you here?" He asked with a laugh. My heart sank and I felt my face pale.

"Um, I was kidding. OH! I've uh, I got flashlights by the way, so we have light!" He said, trying to brighten my mood.

Tate's POV

As soon as I spoke, I saw her face pale. Even as I tried to fix my mistake. For some reason, her moods is put on a damper and I feel my guilt sink in, which is strange because I rarely ever feel guilt.

"Hey," I mutter gently, causing her to look at me,"I didn't mean to scare you," I told her gingerly. Her eyes snapped to mine, and her color came back.

"You didn't. Let's go."

Short but I had to do somethinnng

Comment?

Vote?