Chapter 11. The Badboy Likes Barbie

" I may not party, drink or smoke, but a good time is always appreciated."

After school, I decided to just walk home. Eve was taking exams at her school and was always either cooped up in her room or her university. I didn't feel like running into Tate either. As nice as Janey was, I kind of just wanted to be alone for once. 

Walking down the street, I plopped my earphones in to the song "The Calculation", by Regina Spektor. Humming, I continued to make my way home. 

It felt nice to be alone for once. It was exasperating to be surrounded by ignorant people, 5 days a week for 24 hours. Plus, I was getting tired of all the either envious or hate-filled looks I had been getting ever since the spiel with me and Tate.

For once, it felt like how it used to. 

No worries. No stress. Just, me, walking home like how it should be. 

A thought then shouldered its way into my mind.

Should I just give up on this whole thing with Tate? Sure, that'd be embarrassing for the both of us, but it's only the beginning and us pretending is already tiring me out.  I'd feel bad for letting him down after how we just barely made it through our first week and a half.

But was it worth it? What it even prove? That Jason shouldn't have even dumped me? So far, I could see the difference within him. He tried to give me soup. He gets all weird when I'm with Tate. 

What more did I have to prove?

It's official. On the date with him tonight, I'll tell Tate that we need to stop.

-

"I'm home!" I call as I walk inside our house. I heard footsteps wander down the stairs.

"Eve I-"

"Actually, it's me," I hear my Dad's deep voice announce. I turn to stare at him. What was he doing home? I thought he had a business trip.

"Oh," I say dismissively. He stayed quiet, observing me as I went into the kitchen to grab some sort of snack.

"Eve's upstairs. Don't wake her up though cuz she's asleep. Her final exams really took a toll on your poor sister. She won't leave the house because she is determined to be near the mailbox no matter the cost even!" He exclaimed, letting out a laugh. I frown and continue to look for snacks without turning to face him.

"So Elle, how is school going?" He asked. 

Shocked, I whirl to face him as he sits down at the table in front of me. 

Wow, did he really just ask about me? And school? What changed him?

"Uh, it was . . . it's going good," I clear my throat. He smiles, pressing his glasses further up.

"Why are you asking?" I ask, grabbing some cereal.

"I was just curious. Now that Eve and you don't go to the same school, she can't tudor you as easily. I remember when she was your age, and she-"

I zoned out before pouring the milk in my cereal.

"Elle!" He snapped as I was making my way towards the stairs. 

"What?" I groan.

"I was talking about-"

"Yes, I know dad. You were talking about Eve. What else is new?" I whine pathetically.

"Now, I don't like that sort of an accusation young lady."

"Not an accusation Dad. Just an observation." I growl before I begin to walk off.