"No, it's my mom, she worries if I don't touch base with her." No way was he going to send a hooker to his mother.

"Oh, that's sweet honey. But if she's an adult, and she can take care of herself. Unless she wants you dead."

Bert gulped. He was going to go mad without any news from the outside world. And he wasn't sure if he should trust Tamara.

He knew that if Joe Busconi knew that he was with Joe's favorite hooker, he would blow a gasket. But, what should he do?

He must have said that part aloud. Tamara turned to him. "I told you, lay low then skip town!"

"Yeah, I know." Bert turned around and scratched his chin. He perked up and turned to Tamara. "What about disguises?"

Tamara laughed. "Honey, how old are you? It isn't Halloween!"

"Well, I have to do something! I'll go mad inside these walls."

Tamara looked at him thoughtfully. She was wearing heels so she came up to Bert's shoulder.

"Tell you what." Tamara propped herself up on the counter. Slowly, she spread her legs. Any red-blooded male would look down and so did Bert. He gulped.

She wasn't even wearing underwear!

"Why don't you get lost in these walls, honey?"

Bert's gaze was transfixed on the treasures Tamara was offering. Slowly, she linked her arms around his head and pulled him closer. Bert couldn't bolt even if he wanted to.

Tamara was a skilled whore. She rubbed herself on his chest with her breasts jutting out. She blew an enticing breath on his neck.

And whispered in Bert's ear. "Don't you like me?"

Bert gulped. Tamara freed one hand and placed one of his on her waist. "I'll help you get your mind off your troubles, honey."

Her head dropped and her lips moved towards his. She didn't close the distance though. She labored and panted and her lips begged Bert for a kiss. Bert cursed and brushed his lips against her. She returned his kisses and moaned when his hands mapped her body.

With another curse, Bert pulled away.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Bert silenced the roaring in his head and turned to Tamara again. She looked lost and forlorn and Bert almost felt bad for her.

Almost, because her emotions didn't quite reach her eyes.

She was playing a part, a whore who slept around with men for money.

Bert had bedded whores before. But they were vacuous beauties who enjoyed him and his money. They hadn't been smart and definitely hadn't saved his life.

He found he couldn't use Tamara the same way he had used the other women in his life.

Bert gulped and looked at Tamara again. She was still on the counter-top, but her legs were closed. She looked almost sad. Almost.

She had been playing a part for so long, that she had no idea who she even was.

Just as him.

"Tamara, I'm sorry I kissed you. You know, I think of you as more than a hooker. You're my friend. You've helped me and I was about to take advantage of you. I'm very sorry about it."

Tamara looked at him with an amused smile. She crossed her legs and sat in a demure pose. "Out of all the men I've been with, you're the smartest one that I didn't sleep with."

Bert's brow furrowed. "Thank you, I think?"

Tamara gave him a wry smile. "Has anyone told you that you overthink everything? You aren't paying me, so I ain't a whore today. You might like to think of my feelings before you reject me. I wasn't offering myself in exchange for money."