Sympathy

(Weiss' POV)

I walked through the halls of Beacon, a book in my hand, I scaled the stairs and pressed on as fast as I could until I reached the door of our dorm room. I opened it with a smile on my face to see Ruby lying in bed, fast asleep.

I tip toed over to Ruby's bed and promptly tapped her forehead. "Ruby, wake up." I said to her gently. "Fuck off." Ruby said teasingly and a little sleepily. I could feel the annoyed expression wash over my face. "Ruby, GET UP!" I said more assertively. "Y'know a week ago I could blow up mountains?" Ruby asked while rolling over so her back faced me. "Well now you're my helpless little strawberry cupcake." I said cheerily. "Kiss my ass Ice Queen." Ruby said to me while pulling the blanket off to tease me with her neon pink panties. I giggled and blushed until I saw the scars around her torso. "Ruby, I was just wondering... are you okay?" I asked putting the history book down. Ruby turned back to face Weiss. "No...." she uttered out, holding back tears.

I felt myself shake as she stared at me with wounded eyes.

"Ruby... I..." I started before Winter walked in, we hadn't realized our heads looked like they were leaning in for a kiss. "Awwww" Winter said as she saw the two of us. "Shut the hell up." Ruby snapped, quickly pulling her shirt down over her scars and the blanket over her waist. "If you wanted privacy for "this" I should just get you a hotel room." Winter said teasingly.

(Ruby's POV)

I didn't give another snark remark, instead I just tried to sit up, pulling the blanket away once more. Trying to stand, my legs trembled and a shooting pain struck through me, It started in my legs, but I felt it in my spine. "Shit..." I said, quickly leaning back from the edge of my bed. "W-Weiss... can you help me down and get my crutches?" I asked feeling my pride chip away. "Of course Weiss said as she put her arms around me, her arms brushed against my scars, sending a quick stinging sensation through my body. "Go easier..." I moaned out, letting myself fall into her arms. Weiss carried me to my crutches and wrapped my arms around them. I felt my own weight against the crutches, it was incredibly uncomfortable. "Thank you Weiss." I said as I made my way out of the dorm room. Weiss followed me quickly. I looked back at her as I made my way to the end of the hall, I'm fine without you from this point." I said coldly and turned and faced the stairs. A tear drop fell down my cheek. "Nevermind." I said sighing. Weiss came to pick me up, clearly trying really hard to be gentle. She carried me down the stairs, each footstep made my stomach feel sick. The terror finally ended after descending all four floors. I got back on my crutches. "Weiss... could you use your glyphs to make me weightless?" I asked with more tears forcing their way out of my eyes. Weiss smiled warmly and a trail of glyphs led me to the cafeteria. I lifted the crutches out from under my arms and glided smoothly toward the Cafeteria, Weiss followed close behind.

I felt freedom in my weightlessness, finally getting a moment of bliss since the attack. However, it ended too soon. The glyphs reached the cafeteria and I was back on crutches. The weight hits me like a ton of bricks.

I wince at first contact at the ground waiting for Weiss to help me at the door. "Here you go." Weiss said, opening the door. Upon entry I was immediately met with thunderous clapping, turning my eyes upward, everyone eating breakfast was applauding me. Weiss held my shoulder and gave me a knowing look. "They're proud of you Ruby." Weiss said upping the beat in her voice.

I turned back to my little audience, tears building up in my eyes, they came flooding out as I shouted at them: "I DON'T NEED YOUR SYMPATHY!!!" I pushed hard against my crutches, bruising my armpits as I forced myself to leave the room as quickly as I could, not letting Weiss follow me by pushing her aside.

...

"A smaller, more honest soul. It's true that a simple spark can ignite hope, breathe fire into the hearts of the weary. The ability to derive strength from hope is undoubtedly mankind's greatest attribute... which is why I will focus all of my power to snuff it out.
How does it feel? Knowing that all of your time and effort has been for nothing? That your guardians have failed you? That everything you've built will be torn down before your very eyes?

Your faith in mankind was not misplaced. When banded together, unified by a common enemy, they are a noticeable threat. But divide them, place doubt into their minds, and any semblance of power they once had will wash away.

Of course, they won't realize it at first. Like you, they'll cling to their fleeting hope, their aspirations. But this is merely the first move. So you send your guardians. Your huntsmen and huntresses. And when they fail and you turn to your smaller soul, know that you send her to the same pitiful demise. This is the beginning of the end, Ozpin. And I can't wait to watch you burn." An evil grimace seemingly carved into a face that was white like death.