Chapter 1

I groaned as I looked out the window and saw that it had started to snow! Did my little brother Jeremy really need his blanket to go to sleep? He should have outgrown it by now, he was eight after all. I grabbed my heavy winter jacket and put it on. Then I shoved a gray beanie over my naturally curly blonde hair. I pulled up a stand of hair to my face and looked at the blue tips. It had been a test to see if my mother noticed I had gotten the tips of my hair dyed blue. Of course she didn't notice. I let go of the strand of hair and looked out the window I shivered just thinking about how cold it was out there. I told myself that I only had a short way to walk just down to the street corner, then down a really creepy alley, before arriving at Jeremy's friend Fred's house where he had left his blanket. I really didn't want to walk down that creepy alley at night, especially in a snow storm! It was always dark and creepy and I tried to steer clear if it even in the daytime. Though all alleys are creepy where the poor families like mine live. I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders getting ready to tell Jeremy that I was leaving. I trusted my self-absorbed mother to be able to watch him at least until I got back.

"Bye Echo!" Jeremy yelled.

"Be right back!" I yelled back.

I shook my head my name was weird ! I mean Echo! My mother's philosophy for naming kids was taking a book full of baby names and opening it to a random page and picking the first name on that page. Jeremy lucked out, me not so much. I opened the door and stepped outside. I listened to the door and listened to the loud squeak it made as it slammed shut. I started stomping through the snow and within seconds I was shivering and my teeth were chattering. I could barely see where I was walking the snow was falling so quickly. I arrived at the street corner and looked down the alley apprehensively. I debated whether or not to turn back. Jeremy couldn't sleep without his blanket and honestly I didn't want to stay up all night with him. I turned toward the alley and took a deep breath before I started running as fast as I could forward the end of the alleyway. As I ran my foot hit a patch of ice and I fell hitting my head against the concrete stair and then nothing.

I woke up with a throbbing pain in my head. I sat up and realized I was sitting in snow. Where am I? Who am I? The fact that I didn't know what my own name was made me start to panic. When suddenly I heard a voice. My head snapped up and I saw a guy who looked about fifty or so with long brown hair. His hair was dirty and greasy and he was wearing a trench coat like the detectives in old movies. I looked up at his face. He could have been very handsome with his perfect angular features and pale skin. Though he was missing a few teeth and he had dark circles under his eyes that looked like he either needed to sleep or he was recovering from a black eye. His eyes were what scared me most. They were a light crimson color and they made his otherwise handsome face look horrifying.

"What a pretty girl you are." The man said walking toward me.

I scooted back away from him, I wanted to run but the pain in my head made it hard to focus on anything.

"I just had a full meal but one more can't hurt." He smirked as he walked up to me.

He walked up to me and leaned down and grabbed my head and then he sunk his teeth into my neck. Horrible pain spread through my neck. I screamed it hurt so horribly bad.

"Shut up!" The guy grunted.

I complied closing my mouth and trying hard not to scream. A few minutes, seconds, hours later I wasn't sure. He dropped me in the snow and walked away. The pain spread throughout my body. It was like being burned alive I couldn't think I couldn't breath. I just wanted it to stop. I almost screamed but then I would remember the guy I didn't want him to come back. I don't know how long I laid there. I just wished I could die. When suddenly I could feel my fingers and toes but the fire in my chest hurt even worse. I whimpered and as the pain in my chest increased I dug my nails into my palms to keep from screaming. My heart was beating wildly and the pain started disappearing from the rest of my body. I barely noticed I could only concentrate on the pain in my chest. When the pain was at it's peak my heart beat slower, then slower, and slower still. When finally it stopped. The pain was gone. I gasped breathing hard. I laid and basked in the relief from the pain. Then I opened my eyes.