Chapter 8

Conner and I entered the house and everyone was minding their own business except Jasper. Edward was reading a book, Esme and Alice were talking, Emmet and Rosalie were kissing, and Carlisle looked like he was writing a letter of some sort. Jasper was glaring at me though and I resisted the urge to pull my lips back and growl at him. That would definitely not make a very good impression. Nobody jumped up and yelled "You almost killed someone! Monster! You need to leave now!" It seemed like nobody (well besides Jasper but I don't count him becuase he seems to hate me and would be mad at me if I ate the last slice of cake the same as if I had ate a person.)was very worried about what had happened earlier. Can vampires eat cake? I looked over at Conner and used my mind power.

"Hey Conner, can vampires eat cake?"

Conner looked up at me with a confused expression on his face. That question might have been a bit random oh well.

"No, they can't." He answered back even his mind messages sounded confused!

"Why not?"

"You would throw up. It's unpleasant believe me."

"How would you know?" I thought back. Mind messaging was awesome!

"Emmet and Jasper made made a bet about whether I would shift or not. Emmet thought I would, and Jasper thought I wouldn't. The loser had to eat a piece of cake. I shifted so Jasper had to eat a piece of cake. He was throwing up all night long and he swore off eating any type of human food again."

As much as it pleased me to think about Jasper throwing up and not acting all high and mighty but I did feel sorry for him. Apparently, Emmet was more diabolical than I thought. I glanced over at Rosalie and Emmet who were still kissing and it had gotten um very heated. I quickly looked away.

"That sounds unpleasant. I'm sad I can't have cake anymore. I used to love cake!"

At least I think so I can't remember one time in my life when I had actually eaten cake. Curse this amnesia! If it was a person I would stab it with a knife! Or maybe with my fangs that I have recently acquired from Sherlock hobo man. Oh my gosh Sherlock hobo man turned me into a vampire! I have Sherlock hobo vampire venom in my veins!

"Disgusting!"

Conner looked at me and tilted his head. Did I say that out loud?

"Oh believe me you should have heard them when they were first married. Like rabbits those two!" Esme said with a nod to Emmet and Rosalie who were still kissing. Obviously, she had thought I was referring to Rosalie and Emmet. I wasn't but now that I think about it......... do they even need air? Maybe not I didn't get winded when I was running so maybe vampires don't need air? Who knows?

"Esme!" Conner hissed.

"What I'm just telling it how it is Conner. That's why when your grandparents got married we gave them there own cottage. Same with your parents." She smirked obviously enjoying his torment.

"I don't need to hear anymore if this." Conner said placing his hands over his ears and humming loudly.

He was so immature it was adorable. I smiled still gazing at Conner. He had nice skin I mused softly to myself. A light tan and his dark hair really set it off perfectly and it seemed to glow in the light from the ceiling chandelier. "His eyes are up there." Someone whispered in my ear and I jumped with a loud yelp and smacked someone in the face. I turned around and saw Alice gripping the bridge of her nose.

"You know as someone with the gift to see the future I probably should have seen that coming." Alice said but she was still gripping her nose so it came out sounding all funny and nasally and I started giggling.

"Don't sneak up on me." I said using my mind powers and she yelped in surprise which sounded more like a honk sending me into another fit of giggles.

"You can do that?" Alice asked. "I thought that was only Conners power."

"It's a long story." I said speaking aloud. "I don't really understand it much myself."

"Oh my you must be dying of thirst!" Esme gasped interjecting into the conversation. "I feel dreadfully rude! We can send you, Edward, Alice, and Conner on a hunting expedition."

Alice glanced over at Esme and cleared her throat with a pointed glance at Conner.

"Oh you guys probably want alone time without all your nosy relatives. I forget some of you too are shy about the kissing stuff. After living with those two I forget that some of you are shy."
Esme giggled.

"Ok we are leaving!" Conner announced grabbing my hand and dragging me outside. "So um sorry about Esme.....she's uh very straight forward.......and you know how that goes........" He trailed off into silence.

"I think Esme is awesome! You have such a tight knit family!"

He laughed "Well when you never age it's easy to have a large family. Were one if the largest covens out there. Usually vampires are pretty solitary creatures preferring to just travel with their significant other or one or two other vampires."

"Why is that?" I asked trying hard to understand the new world I had been thrust in. I had no idea what the vampire politics were and I didn't have a family to go back too. Or at least not one I remembered. What would have happened to me if Conner hadn't "imprinted" on me? Would I have been dead, killed by the Cullen's who know seemed to adore me? Would I have found a smaller coven and joined them? Or would I have become a monster that killed humans at every turn? I didn't even know.

"Large groups of vampires just don't seem to get along well. One always wants to be more powerful than the other and vampires are generally pretty vicious in nature. The Volturi are the only other coven that hasn't killed each other. If you can call it a coven." he smirked "More like a small dictatorship. They are the law making body of the vampire world. It's run by an evil vampire named Aro. He tried to kill my mom once." He said it offhandedly as if crazy vampires trying to kill his mom was an everyday occurrence.

"What?" I asked turning to face him. We had stopped walking and were now standing in a clearing where a river was floating lazily past with a small gurgle.

"Yeah, it's a long story not one I'm going to get into today. Maybe later." He continued walking but then suddenly stopped and turned around as if something had just occurred to him. He grabbed my shoulders and I looked up into his eyes. "If they come for you, you have to promise not to go with them. They'll do anything to gain control of you're power. Promise me!"

I felt very confused. What had brought on this protective Conner mode? What was so bad about the Volturi anyway? "Conner, I don't understand!" I said.

"Please just promise me!" He looked at me with such desperation in his eyes that I felt like my heart was breaking.

"I-I promise." I stuttered out.

"Ok, ok," he said over and over again as if he was comforting himself about something. "You must think I'm crazy don't you?"

"Just a little." I said giving him a weak smile.

"They're power hungry and you're power is more powerful than anything any vampire had seen before. The Volturi would stop at nothing to get you."

"I won't join the Volturi I promise!" I said to Conner of only to give him peace of mind. I leaned over and quickly pressed my lips to his cheek before looking away like nothing happened.

"What was that for?" He asked tilting his head with a mischievous smirk on his face.

"I'm just glad you guys found me when you did that's all. Even though you did try to kill me at first which are considered terrible manners you know!" I glared at him teasingly fighting to keep the smile off my face.

He smiled and grabbed my hand. "You are one of a kind Echo."

I smiled back happy I had found my place in the vampire world at least for awhile but of course nothing good can last forever.
__________________________
I know! I know it's been a long time since I've updated! But I finally have and here is the new chapter for you guys! I love it when you guys comment because it inspires me to write more so comment away! Have a smashing day! (I'm running out of adjectives to put in front of day Lol)