“Apologise. I am not the one you need to say sorry to, you know that,” Louise hissed.

“I am sorry for coming across as using you and Grace to find Miranda. I am hoping to contact Miranda when she gets back. Louise when I was over there with you and Grace, I did forget about Miranda and really enjoyed hanging out with the both of you.”

Louise was getting more fired up by the second. “Sally, do not treat me as a fool, tell me why you are really here?”

Sally looked down at her manicured nails. “Louise, I am being honest. I am asking for forgiveness. I do not know how I became so nasty. Or why I bought Miranda’s career down. I guess I was jealous. Nobody saw my abilities, my strengths. I was just a personal assistant, I was worthless. I wanted to prove I was something better, I wanted to be better than Miranda.”

“At the expense of Miranda’s life, she nearly ended up in jail because of you,” Louise pointed out heatedly.

“I never meant for this to get so out of control,” Sally whispered as her eyes pleaded for forgiveness.

“You have fully disgraced Miranda. She can never work in this city again, her reputation is tarnished.”

“I am hoping to change that.”

“And how do you propose to turn things back to normal? By jumping back in a time machine? It’s too late Sally.”

“I am going to tell everyone the truth,” Sally said sincerely.

“I think you should leave now,” Louise finally said.

Sally stood up and looked at Louise, she searched her face for some sought of forgiveness. When Louise did not give her that satisfaction, Sally walked out. Louise stood rigid as she stared at the now empty lounge. Ray walked in and cuddled her from behind and realised Louise was shaking. He held her for a few moments. Louise crouched to the ground and cried, while Ray rocked her back and forth like he was holding a baby, to calm her down.

#

At home Shaggy had settled in nicely and was a pleasure to have around. When Grace took him for a walk everyone would walk up to say hello and give Shaggy a pat. He would respond with a big sloppy kiss. There were times though, when Grace could have got very angry. Like the time she came home from the Supermarket to find slobbered toilet paper glued to the floors. And the time when Grace bought a plant to add to the garden collection and walked outside to catch Shaggy death shaking the plant. Grace yelled at him to drop it, but it was too late. All that was left, was a half chewed stem with one leaf covered in drool. Shaggy looked up at Grace with those big innocent eyes and not being able to resist, Grace gave him a cuddle. 

His destructiveness was becoming worse. Grace came home to find freshly dug holes in the backyard. Shaggy was digging a pool by the looks of things, but instead of digging near the fence, he dug in the middle of the yard. It was obviously time to go shopping, dog shopping. Grace bought one of every kind of dog toy; dog treats even a teddy bear to cuddle. She also purchased two huge bags of soil to refill the holes and then dragged the soil twenty metres from the store to her car. After her big dog shop, she needed a refreshing drink. Grace walked to a nearby café and ordered a mango frappe. As she waited she had a feeling that something was about to happen.

Time passed, the frappe came. Grace was beginning to doubt her earlier intuition. She stood up and walked over to a magazine stand to get something to read. A man walked past Grace, and he was hot. Grace could not see a default on him. As Grace intensely watched him, she noticed him walk over to her table. He sat down and even moved her drink. Grace quickly walked over, “Excuse me,” she said.

The good looking man looked up, “I would like a vanilla latte, thank you,” he said placing a ten dollar note in Grace’s hand. Grace laughed out loud.

“What’s so funny?” he asked and looked around and noticed people were staring as they watched the scene play out.

“I am not a waiter and you are sitting at my table. This is my drink and that is my hand bag on the seat,” Grace said as she pointed to each object like she was a game host, who showcased each prize to be won.

For a second he thought it over and then his expression said it all, he was completely and utterly embarrassed, “Oh, I am so sorry.” He started to leave.

Grace stepped in. “Why don’t you join me?” she said in a cool tone and took a seat.

“Okay,” he said relieved. They fell silent. How could this be any more awkward? “So is someone here with you?” he asked.

“No I am free as a bird.” Was she not desperate enough? Grace blushed as the realisation set in. “I have not seen you around here before, are you new to the area?” Grace asked.

“I used to live here and I met this crazy woman, who was obsessed. I needed to get away and was offered a great job in Sydney. But the catch was, I wasn’t able to take my dog with me. It was horrible; I came back because I missed him terribly.”

“Was he staying with a friend?”

“No. See I thought this career change was going to be permanent and my dog was wonderful but quite large, nobody wanted to mind him for me.”

“Oh that is terrible, so what did you do?” Grace asked intrigued.

“I put him in the dog shelter. They said they would find a lovely home for him.”

“So have you been there yet?”

“No, I am on my way there next.”

“I just bought a dog from the dog shelter, he is adorable. Maybe when you get your dog back we can meet for play dates.”

“I would like that,” his smile radiated, “Well I should be going.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.”

“Oh it’s Isaac and yours?”

“Grace.”

“A pleasure to meet you Grace. I will make sure when I see a drink on the table to sit there, in hope it will be you,” he said and smiled. Grace smiled; he was good looking and sweet.

Grace went back home to Shaggy. He was so happy to see her. He enjoyed the toys as well, especially the teddy bear, as he began humping the teddy bear with no shame. Grace chuckled to herself and prepared a fresh salad sandwich. She sat down at her outdoor table to enjoy the peacefulness. 

 ***

If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please vote it! Thank you.

Copyright 2012 by Melanie Toye