Chapter 57

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Shabuir (SHAH-boo-EER): extreme insult - *jerk*, but much stronger

Vod (vohd): brother, sister, comrade, *mate*

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 57

If one studies history, it is most notable that when governments align, it usually occurs most smoothly through the union of those dedicated to a similar cause. It is with optimism and trust that I believe Tochin and the Empire will unite in a smooth transition. With honor and compassion, I have proposed a union in the form of marriage to Princess Arlesse Psach, and although there are expected reservations in a union as intricate as this, my proposal has ultimately been accepted.

Excerpt from Moff Gillard Harkin's public speech announcing his marriage proposal

Tochin Moon III, 86 Days after Order 66

Arlesse squeezed past servants and clusters of stormtroopers as they moved about the hallways. Her chest burned with betrayal, her lips on fire for having touched Gillard Harkin. Her eyes stung with the need to release her tears, but she didn't want to allow them until she was alone, somewhere she would fall apart and have no witnesses. Her room was too far away on the other side of the palace, and her garden was behind her, closer to the room where Harkin remained. The library was just past the next couple sets of hallways, and she could find herself a corner somewhere behind a bookshelf where she could crumble.

Moving blindly and only thinking of her destination, Arlesse felt her shoulder bang into the armor plating on one of the stormtroopers, and she spun from the blow, finding that her back had slammed into the hallway wall. Her breath was knocked out of her chest at the blow, and she gasped heavily afraid she'd fall to the floor in a desperate attempt to get the air back.

The trooper brought his goggled face to her, anger initially in his voice. "Can't you..." Then, he realized that she was not simply one of the servants that they often tripped over, and his orders from Moff Harkin was to address the princess with the utmost respect rather than contempt. Although concern was not in his voice, ordered respect replaced his initial disgust. "Highness?"

Arlesse kept her eyes down to the floor, unable to look at anyone just now. Her breathing was ragged, and she could feel nothing but redness on her cheeks while the emotional shredding of her betrayal to Jas wracked her body with shudders. In her attempt to escape Harkin, Arlesse had forgotten about the legions of stormtroopers that wandered the palace on whatever patrol Harkin deemed they needed to be patrolling.

Her gasping had finally settled down, and the air she had lost slowly returned to her spent lungs, but she could still only stare at the floor before the stormtrooper in confusion. She had come to realize that no matter how far she ran in the palace, she could not escape Harkin's touch or his experienced seduction.

"Princess?" the trooper now asked, not certain if he needed to get someone in authority.

"The princess has had a long morning," Tarj said as he suddenly stepped in and took Arlesse's arm in a gentle grasp. "She'll be okay after some rest."