Chapter 50

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

There are no Mandalorian (Mando'a) words in this chapter.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 50

Tarj has exhibited nothing but honest loyalty to the princess. I can see that governments mean nothing to him, only his need to keep her safe. There is almost something deeper in his devotion than merely following orders, but I can't quite grasp it, and I'm certain he would deny anything if I tried asking. He's quite taken with the girl—not romantically—but his connection with her is as true as if they were siblings. I have no doubt that his protection of her does not need to be questioned, and the princess will never be under threat while in his care. Tarj must remain her guardian simply because there is no one else who can be trusted to serve her with that kind of sincere respect and devotion.

Moff Gillard Harkin, sharing his observations with one of his advisors

Tochin Moon III, 73 Days after Order 66

Arlesse breathed quietly, refusing to make eye contact with him. Without any prompting, she turned towards the door in an attempt to escape his presence.

Gillard reached out, and his hand caught her arm, just above the elbow.

Arlesse felt her heart thudding in her chest in fear, and her breath got stuck in her throat.

Gillard was careful to make certain he wasn't forceful but gentle with his hold on her. He knew he could get her to respond better with a kind touch as opposed to the brute force that would be expected by someone of his power and influence.

"Please, Highness, stay," he said carefully. "You haven't provided me any opportunity yet to explain my actions since I had arrived on your humble world."

Arlesse yanked her arm free, surprised that Harkin had so easily relented his touch on her. She wanted to convey the kind of strength in her voice that Janelle used to exhibit, but Arlesse couldn't project that kind of emotion, and she ended up sounding more like she was scared and sad than angry. "You killed my family and took over our world. I have no reason to want your company."

Gillard met her gaze with his own, watching the pain in her blue eyes consume her. It was like staring into a maelstrom of hatred and grief, and he swore that he was looking at the debris left after a violent storm had destroyed everything in its path. Yet, even with that shield of pain, he could see the very real fear in her eyes, the constant worry she had about what would become of her. Her brutal honesty always seemed to take him off-guard, and he needed to carefully choose his words, to gently work up to the proposition he needed to offer her.

"You are right, Princess," he started softly, "I came into your world as a conqueror, and that was not my intention. I was given specific orders to follow, expectations of what was required in my position. Please, all I ask is that you sit with me and let me explain."

"Where's Tarj?" Arlesse asked, changing the subject. She didn't want to hear any explanations from this murderer, and the fear she constantly felt for her guardian's life had filled her thoughts, distracting her.

The princess' question had taken Gillard unexpectedly, but he saw the slight crack of compassion in her gaze. He saw that she cared about her clone protector, and he could clearly see the sibling relationship that they shared. He understood why she asked about Tarj; she feared something had happened to him.