XXXVII

I stirred when I heard the familiar sound of the door hinges whine. I blinked, adjusting my eyes to the darkness as I watched Jordan enter his bedroom. With a tired yawn he stretched his arms above his head, cracking the taut muscles of his neck and shoulders. He unceremoniously tossed his jacket on his desk before running both his hands through his disheveled hair. He blindly started unbuttoning his shirt and I decided to make my presence known.

"How did it go?"

"Jesus fuck!" Jordan's hand flew to his heart, nearly jumping out of his skin.

I reached beside me to turn on the lamp on his nightstand. The dim light bathed the room in a soft hue.

"How long have you been sitting there?" he asked as soon as he composed himself.

"All night." I pushed myself up to a sitting position, pressing my back against his headboard. "So how did it go?"

"It's three in the morning, sweetheart. I told you to go to bed."

"I couldn't sleep," I shrugged. "You still haven't answered my question."

He sighed deeply and took off his shirt. "I met Angela's mother."

My lips twitched. "I'm sorry about that."

"She's a real piece of work that woman," he chuckled as he undid his belt. "She slipped her number in my pocket even after I told her Angela was officially expelled from school."

I perked up. "Angela's expelled? As in I never have to see her face at school again?"

"Yup. I think we gave her enough chances already. The girl's a lost case if she's anything like her mother."

"Wow," I breathed out. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around the fact that Angela would be officially leaving, especially since she had always been in my life to the point I had almost grown accustomed to having her around, like a pain in my ass. I just needed some time to get used to the idea. "What about Dante?"

Jordan found a pair of grey sweatpants and pulled them on. "The kid's lucky he's a first-time offender. All he got was a monetary fine and mandatory participation in an education program about substance abuse. He got off lightly - too lightly if you ask me."

I pushed my bottom lip against my teeth, my face contorted into one of distress. Sure, it was good news but it wasn't any kind of guarantee that I never had to face him again.

"Hey." Jordan cupped my chin, his eyes soft around the edges. "Don't worry about him, I'm not letting him anywhere near you again."

"How?"

"I have my ways." He swiftly stroked my chin with the pad of his thumb before letting go.

I arched my eyebrows. "You threatened him." It wasn't a question, more like a fact.