XXXVI

"You made it!" Kylie squealed as soon as I stepped foot inside Maria's house. She flew into my arms and did this hug/dance thing. I hugged her back, a little taken off guard by her excitement.

We pulled apart and her mouth dropped as she took me in from head to toe. "You look hot."

"Thanks," I smiled uncomfortably as I tugged my dress to keep it from riding up.

"Which one's Maria?" Lauren shouted over the loud music as she took in our surroundings.

I spotted a lot of familiar faces from school and only a few I didn't recognize. It came to my attention that the majority was a lot older than us, definitely sixteen. I didn't know about my friends but I felt out of place surrounded by these sophomores.

Kylie was sipping from a cup as she pointed to someone standing near the stairs. A beautiful girl with straight, shiny black hair was laughing about something. I examined her and I noticed that she had the same dark eyes as Angela - only hers didn't spew venom and looked actually lively.

"We should probably introduce ourselves," Lauren said into my ear and I nodded. It was the least we could do.

Maria caught our eye and left her clique to join us. "Hey! I'm Maria!"

"I'm Jade," I smiled back. "This is Lauren."

"Oh right, Angela's friends!"

Lauren and I exchanged a quick look and Maria burst out laughing.

"Yeah, that was stupid of me. Angela doesn't really have any friends," she said. "She's a bitch."

Lauren and I kept quiet, not really sure if she was joking or not. Maria giggled at our expression and that's when I knew that she might be related to Angela but she was nowhere near like her.

"Angela said you just moved here," I said loud enough she could hear me over the music playing in the background.

"How do you like it here so far?" Lauren asked.

Maria shrugged. "It's not easy, I miss my old friends. But everyone's been really nice and welcoming so far so I can't complain. Thanks for coming over by the way, means a lot to me. I don't know a lot of people around here."

"I'm not gonna lie, I didn't wanna come at first," I admitted. "But I'm glad I did. This party looks fun."

"Thanks," she smiled. "Looking forward getting to know you two better." She started walking off but suddenly returned. She motioned for us to inch closer so we could hear her better. "Stay away from the red cups - don't worry I'm not serving any alcohol, I just don't trust some people around here, especially my brother. Stick to the plastic water bottles," she winked.

"Got it," Lauren nodded.

"Well she seems nice," I stated once she left.

"I'm telling you, it's only Angela. She's possessed."